Two Truths, And A Big Lie

Rain comes down heavily in the mortal lands, the pitter-patter hitting the metal roof of the Band of Exiles Manor. Vassa watches as the final winks of the fire go out, tugging her gray night shirt down her chilly legs slightly. Sure, she could put on some sweatpants, but after spending all day as a firebird, she wants to feel as unrestricted as she possibly can, opting to wear only underwear and a shirt when she gets home, unless she has something to attend to as Queen of this mortal district.

The chill of the night starts to get to her and she curses, rubbing her arms and almost wishing she got to keep her fire powers in her mortal form, but no. Going to the kitchen, she rinses out her wine glass and leans against the counter, tears forming in her eyes. She hardly allows herself to cry. She's a queen, and queens don't cry. Even as a few make their way down her tanned face, she still tells herself that.

Straightening her posture, she holds her chin high and walks down the hall toward her small bedroom. Unfortunately, there are no fireplaces to be found in the bedrooms. She doesn't notice that she is actually looking down at the floor as she walks until she collides with a hard body, letting out a very unladylike sound as she seemingly bounces off of it.

Gasping, she looks up at the offender and sneers a bit to cover up the flush of embarrassment on her cheeks. "Jurian, it's impolite to step into the path of a Queen."

Jurian crosses his broad arms and scoffs, only the slightest hint of a smirk beneath his stubble. "I did not step into your path, my Queen, I was here first, and you continued right into me like a brick wall."

Vassa shakes her head, unable to come up with a retort with how tired she's become. Usually, she tries to stay up as long as possible to enjoy being in her own body. "Whatever", she mumbles.

"A Queen, mumbling? Never thought I'd see the day. Or night, I suppose."

She looks up at him wearily and he drops the smart-ass act immediately, noting the sadness in her eyes.

"Vassa, what's wrong? I knew something was wrong. I was going to come check on you. See if you had fallen asleep or...something."

"What would you have done if I had?"

"Carry you to bed, my Queen", he bows, letting a smile show. A smile that he rarely shows anyone. She's flattered every time he trusts her to see it under all his gruffness.

"Jurian..."

"I know. I know that you don't want to get too attached because you're afraid of your curse. I know you feel like if you enjoy your happiness it will be ripped from you. I know that you think the possibility of you dying when this war happens is high."

The tears spring back to her eyes, and she lets them, letting him see the vulnerable side of her. The only one who has, aside from Lucien on a couple of occasions when she late night rambled and drank with them.

"How could you possibly know all of that?"

"Because I feel the same way. Even though it was a long, long time ago, I still remember being tortured...killed, cursed. Spending centuries with Amarantha. I know the fear and the jumpiness that comes with still feeling unsafe. I know what it's like to be cursed, and I can only imagine the things you have to deal with when it comes to Koschei. But right now and every other night, you have me if you need to talk. I'm not much. I'm gruff, rude, brutish, and an all-around asshole. But I'm also here. I have no judgment." He hesitantly reaches up and cups her face, stroking her tears away tenderly with his thumbs.

"Jurian", she whispers, her eyes slipping closed as she leans into his warm and calloused touch.

"Yes, my Queen?"