Love and Vulnerability

Eris comes back from a walk around Veros, the Dawn Court’s largest city and port. Whistling softly, he is in good spirits for the first time in a long time, despite feeling the weight of the threat still looming at all their backs. A parchment is tucked under his armpit for Thesan, who had kindly asked him to pick it up today in his travels. In his other hand, he holds a small bag—a gift for an amazing female that gives him butterflies in his stomach. He scoffs at himself and who he is becoming—an overly soft version of himself that he has yet to decide if he likes or hates. The vulnerability will always be an uneasy feeling for him. Letting down his guard used to be near impossible, but every day it gets a little easier. Especially with Nuan around.

Winnowing to the front gates of the Palace, the guard nods to him and lets him in. He inclines his head in response and continues through the large sandstone doors into the foyer. The vast, open expanse greets him but feels comforting and familiar despite the open air. The taupe marble floor with veins of salmon stretches throughout, spilling into the other rooms of the palace as he walks past the array of columns and archways, listening for any sign of the High Lord or his lover.

A few servants flutter by, so used to him now after these weeks that they no longer bristle at the sight of him walking the halls. Perhaps it had something to do with Nuan’s affinity for making friends with nearly everyone she meets despite her suave exterior.

Towering palm plants in white ceramic pots that reach waist-height on Eris loom over the largest archway connecting the main hall to the next branch of the palace. On and on the pattern continues. Sunshine seems to cast a glow down on the main areas from large skylights, and the salmon veining in the floor sparkles like glitter.

Another servant bustles toward Eris and he steps into their path, plastering a small smile onto his face. “Do you know where the High Lord is right now?”

The female blushes and glances back down the hall. “I-I believe he is in his office, Lord Eris.”

Eris inclines his head. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Lord Eris”, she responds, bowing politely before continuing towards the west wing of the palace.

He fixed the cuff of his sleeve as continued down the long hall towards Thesan’s office. Stopping at the large mahogany door, he raps on it.

“Come in”, Thesan’s calm voice responds.

Eris enters the large office and bows lowly at the waist as is customary in Dawn, a tradition of his mother’s people from Xian that he adopted to bring honor to her legacy.

“High Lord”, he addresses him. “I have the package you requested.”

Thesan smiles at him kindly and looks at the parcel as Eris hands it over to him. “Thank you, Eris.”

“You’re welcome.” His mouth twists to the side and he lets out a soft breath. “Is Nuan in her lab right now?”

“Unfortunately, she is out on some courtier errands for me at the moment. She shouldn’t be too long, however.” A gleam of the rising sun seems to spark in his light brown eyes as he takes note of the small bag hanging from his wrist.

“Right, of course. Of course she is.”

“She cares about you. Deeply. Please do not play with her heart. She means the world to me.” Despite the even tone and his coolness, a threat lingers in his gaze, letting Eris see the danger of the beast beneath his skin. Reminding him that he would avenge the female who had become a sister to him if need be.

Eris nods and meets his gaze. “I would not want to ever pain her, Thesan. I care deeply about her as well. And not simply because she assisted in nursing me back to health. I...”, he trails off, wondering if he should reveal too much about himself. In a vote of openness, he continues. “I have not known a connection like this for decades. I will do my best to do right by her. No matter what may befall us.”