Courts of Longing and Wishes

Her eyes light up a bit. "You do? Please, I'd like to thank him. He...he also gave me silent hope when I didn't believe I had any. When I was trapped there. I could tell he wasn't one of them. Wasn't like them. What is his name?"

Viviane sighs. "You may not want to get too acquainted with him, Briar. He isn't...well, um...he isn't well."

"What do you mean, he isn't well? Like, he's sick?"

"His name is Tamlin. He is the High Lord of the Spring Court currently. The Court closest to where the wall was. He is also Feyre's ex fiancée. They have a lot of bad blood and things transpired that broke him and he did try to redeem himself, I'll admit. He saved you and them, and was a huge help during the war in which we took down Hybern. And he did revive Feyre's mate, Rhysand, despite them being the worst of enemies, especially after Feyre. But Tamlin is not the most stable male. He never has been. He's a Fae who had a very rocky childhood, an extremely toxic adolescence and his adulthood so far has been an utter train wreck. Not all his fault, but it has definitely shaped him. He has a lot of pent-up anger and the type of power that he possesses unfortunately thrives in rage. He got his shapeshifting abilities from his father, who was a horrid and wretched High Lord. His father was best friends with Hybern, and with Amarantha, so that tells you what you need to know about how Tamlin grew up. He had three brothers too who were after him because he was the most powerful of the bunch. They wanted him dead for his power."

Briar's eyes widen. Viviane, Kallias, and Vianna had all told her about what had happened with Amarantha, Feyre, and Tamlin's curse. "That was Tamlin? The one that helped us?"

Kallias looks at her warily. "Yes, I suppose it must have been. And the other males you mentioned seeing must have been Lucien and Jurian. Jurian is actually mortal again, and Lucien, the red-head male...he's trying to get some semblance of a life on track too. His story is very similar to Tamlin's, but he is much more tame and diplomatic; it's a pity he isn't a High Lord instead. But similar story, wretched father and brothers, dead lover, displacement three times...", he trails off. "His mate is Feyre's sister and last I heard she needs all the time in the world to warm up to him."

Kallias goes over and gives Viviane a kiss. "I strongly believe that Viv and I are the luckiest couple in all of Prythian, and we're grateful every single day for it. The only obstacle we faced was Amarantha. We always loved one another, and we didn't have to fight each other to become close. We had it easy compared to the rest."

Wynnie begins crying and he coos at her, taking her from Viviane's arms and beginning to feed her.

"You two are great together." She troubles her lower lip with her teeth. "How is Tamlin now? You said unstable and angry but in what way?"

"Why the interest? It's really not worth knowing. He—he's not really worth knowing. It sounds harsh, I know that. And we do feel for the male, but...he's just acted out so many times that it's best to simply stay away and let him simmer. To be honest, the Winter Court doesn't prefer either Spring or Night. They are both problematic in different ways, and we have issues with both High Lords for different reasons. But as High Lords, we must be diplomatic as possible...one of the reasons we take issue with both of them, as they let their feuds get in the way of their emotions much of the time. I hate to admit it, but Feyre does too. However, I'd expect it from her, as she is very young and new. But Rhysand and Tamlin? They act like children when they're in the same space. Drives us up the wall. Some of Rhysand's fellow bats act out too in childish ways. At least Lucien, as I mentioned, remains truly neutral and diplomatic, despite having many, many issues with both of them as well."

Briar nods quietly, playing with her fingers. "I just...I think I'd at least like to thank him. Even if that is all. He deserves a thank you. If not from anyone else, then from me. He gave me hope when I didn't have any left. On top of that, he's the reason we were able to get to safety when their wings were damaged. Maybe he has a bad reputation, but he did a very good thing and my mother used to tell me that no good deed goes unpunished. That people are often ungrateful, and that if I ever have the chance to show gratitude, I should."