Warmth and Worthiness

Lucien winnows into the garden of the River House, a smile creeping into his face as he sees the crouched back of his mate, her dirtied hands working the soil.

Still gloveless.

He makes his way over to her just as she winces and pulls her hand away, a trickle of blood making its way down her smallest finger where a sharp thorn juts out. Lucien quickly uses his speed to reach her as fast as possible, eliciting a startled gasp from her.

"Allow me", he murmurs suavely, taking her hand in his and carefully removing the thorn before hovering his other hand over it, the blood and thorn prick completely disappearing. "I'm sorry I shocked you, Elain."

Elain stops herself from shuddering at the mention of her name on his lips. "Hello, Lucien."

"I wouldn't say I told you so otherwise. However...I believe I purchased you a very high-quality pair of gardening gloves. For the sole purpose of preventing your hands from getting pricked by thorns."

Elain chews her lip, caught. "It's not that I don't appreciate them. They are nice. It's simply easier to garden with bare hands. Much easier. I know they would help..."

Lucien smirks. "Well firstly, I told you so. Many times in fact, that you'd get scars from all those little pricks and cuts if you kept at those roses with only your flesh. However, it is also understandable that it's easier to maneuver without them on."

"What brings you to the Night Court today?"

He bows his head towards her, cross-legged near the dirt in her patterned shirt and overalls. Not the usual flirty-type apparel she always wears. Her hair is even up in a crowned braid. "May I sit?"

Elain nods her head, and Lucien sits cross-legged beside her, his long red locks, hanging in front of his cheek. Elain carefully tucks them behind his ear and pecks his cheek. "Thank you for...that. My hand, the healing thing you do."

Lucien tries to keep his wits about him as the place where her lips had touched his cheek tingles still. "It is my pleasure, Elain."

Her cheeks tinge pink again and she fiddles with the dirt in her palm.

"As for your question, you bring me here. Not directly, but I have hopes that I am allowed to visit you despite my busy schedule these days. The bond is...stronger for males, I think Feyre explained some more to you."

"She did. I'm sorry about how I've acted in the past. I know I was hurting, but that didn't give me the right to take out my anger on you. Especially because it wasn't your fault that things transpired the way they did."

He looks at her, his golden eye reflecting the sun like an orb of molten metal. "I don't blame you. Everyone reacts differently when things are at their lowest. I've seen all different fae hit rock bottom and all of them have different coping mechanisms. Whether it be to shut down, lash out, or close off. Sometimes all three. You didn't do anything wrong by wanting some time, I promise you."

She smiles shyly and wipes the dirt off her hands. "That means a lot. Thank you."

"Of course."

"I realize that the bond must have been unbearable at certain points, and...I hope you weren't in too much pain or...or desperation."

"I'm very good with control. One of the best in Prythian, and I take pride in that. I like to think it comes from my healing abilities somehow repairing myself when I choose, but if I'm being honest it's only a guess. Nobody truly knows how all their powers work, and even if they do, the control factor and the ins and outs are not always black and white. There is a lot of gray area. Which only makes it harder to identify intentions on occasion."