40.

Him.

130 kilometres per hour with asleep kids in the silent car and we are only halfway closer to Rome.

My hazel eyes attached to the screen of my Mac, searching for those 4 little red dots, my heart praying and hoping that our children are near. 

But I had to detach from the screen once Cami hit the stop pedal out of the blue. 

"Are you okay, amore mio?"- I asked in worry, checking on my pregnant wife, my hands on her soft cheeks as she gazed at me, taking deep breaths. 

"Just...Dio."- she almost whispered, unable to spare the look at whatever was in front of us. 

I looked at the sight, my blood running cold. 

Pools of blood surround corpses that lay around 3 crushed, shot cars.

"What if someone is alive? We cannot just go."- spoke Cami, blinking away tears that I gently wiped away, utterly unaware of what to do. 

We have asleep kids in the car, waiting to be in our home in Rome, safe and sound, and little, 2-year-old our quadruplets are missing - that's on top of my mind. 

But Dio, we definitely cannot just go by and pretend we didn't see anything. 

"Shh, it's going to be okay, mia piccola."- I soothed my love, kissing her forehead as she hugged me tightly, clutching onto me while I dialled the police. 

Her.

I sobbed, unable to even imagine how relatives of those people will react. 

I don't have the guts to get out of the car, the smell of blood is sickening as it is. Leo is with the police for a brief questioning to help the case as much as possible. Medical staff is working with the police, checking on every victim. 

The officer came up to the car and I rolled the window down, unable to look or breathe. 

"Signora Russo, vorremmo farle alcune domande. Per favore, scenda dall'auto."- asked the officer kindly and I nodded, nuzzling into my husband's hoodie that I am wearing. (Mrs Russo, we'd like to ask you a few questions. Please, step out of the car.) 

"Abbiamo trovato 4 bambini in macchina, agente."- said a doctor, coming up to us, making Leo and me freeze. (We found 4 toddlers in the car, officer.) 

"Quali 4 bambini?"- I almost whispered, gripping my husband's forearms as his muscular arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer into his embrace. (What 4 babies?) 

"È difficile dirlo, hanno bruciature e cicatrici, ma a giudicare dai loro vestiti: 2 ragazzi e 2 ragazze."- replied the doctor, erasing the line between madness and sanity. (It is hard to say, they have burns and scars, but judging from their clothes: 2 boys and 2 girls.) 

I pushed past the officer and doctor, rushing to the ambulance, tears brimming in my eyes, my heart pounding and aching, praying and hoping that it is not what I think it is.

But my prayers were not heard. 

Him.

My arms wrapped around Camila tightly, keeping her steady as she shattered, crying and sobbing in my embrace.