Family

Ruby's POV

Today my parents came back from selling the house and getting new jobs. My dad quit his job to get my grandma's job. He went to set it up because it belongs to him. My mom stayed with me today. I told her about Ava and Ernest. She thought it was nice for me to meet new friends.

Just a few minutes of her being back here felt uncomfortable. I knew my mom and grandmother never got along. My mom was there for my dad but I knew a lot of drama happened between them. My grandma did think my mom was a gold digger and trailer trash. Teliah was unfair and had a double standard.

My grandmother would supposedly have a bath with a glass of wine with bubbles. That is what you call classy self care. My mother would take a warm shower and have beer. My grandmother called it trashy alcoholism. They never did see eye to eye on things. My grandmother was more classy.

My mom just wanted a cold beer. She didn't want to be judged by her. My father left Teliah because he felt trapped in her rich life. My mom would read makeup magazines and drink a beer. He felt free with her. It was actually really cute. I did want somebody who loves me and makes me feel free.

I never knew what that type of love was called but it seemed comfortable. My way to feel like me with no judgments. That's really all I ask for. This is my story right. It is also my life so what can happen. I sat on the couch as my mom picked up my grandmother's photo. She looked at it for a long time.

She probably had regrets which made her put the photo down. My mom looked to me and walked over. She sat on the couch. He hair bouncing behind her. She smiled at me acting as if I didn't see that. They always think I am a young child. I am grown enough to see the things around me. I'm not blind at least.

"Hey kiddo do you want a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch" asked my mom. I looked at her for using the word kiddo. She put her hand under my chin. "You are still my baby" she said as she tried to make it better. "Mom" I said making a fake unhappy face. "What" said my mom with a smile.

She looked so relaxed in her baggy clothes that fit her skinny body like a glove. She was wearing a pink v shirt and baggy tight jeans to match. "Okay" I said with a smile. I didn't want to keep checking in on her creepily. She is the adult after all. I minded my own business as best I could. She and I both didn't feel right about this new situation.

Moving here is a new change since I was so used to our home back home. "Great" said my mom as she put her hand on my knee to stand up. She got up with a little jump in her step. She was happy to make me a grilled cheese sandwich. With everyone off today it was the first mother daughter time I had.

I did invite Ava over since my mom wanted to meet her. My mom was making grilled cheese sandwiches for all of us. The door bell rang and I went to get it. I opened the door to find Ava and Ernest. "Hey, sorry he decided to show up again" said Ava. I smiled and I let them in. I didn't want to make this weird. I liked Ernest but what he said last time never left me.

Why did he think I was trouble. I closed the door behind him as my mom came to meet them. "Hi I'm Chloe, Ruby's mom" said my mom as she said hi to them. "Nice to meet you" said Ava nicely. "Oh and who are you" my mom looked at Ernest weirdly. "This is my brother" said Ava. "He usually hangs out with us" I said mentioning that to her at least.

"Oh we'll it's nice to meet you..." my mom said not knowing his name. "Ernest" said Ernest politely. I smiled since he was nice to my mom. I needed them to like each other if I was ever going to do anything. "Put on a movie" said my mom as she grabbed my hand. "Ok" said Ava as her and Ernest walked to the couch. Me and my mom walked to the kitchen.

"He is cute" said my mom in a whisper. I had to deny it. She couldn't be thinking of us together already. She does try to hook me up most of the time. I couldn't let this happen. "He just shows up" I said kinda in a annoyed tone. She had to think I didn't like him. It couldn't be too obvious.

"Oh what a shame. I could have sworn" my mom said as she was getting a suspicion about me and him. "Mom come on my friend is here" I said as I grabbed the plates. My mom smiled at me thinking of stuff. Probably shipping us together. I didn't want to know what it was about. She continued to cook.

I looked from the kitchen to the living room. When I did I got a glance of Ernest looking back at me. My breath got caught in my throat. I am a good girl, I thought to myself. Why did I have to think that. What was Ernest doing to me. I swear I almost lost my strength to stand when he smiled at me.

I would have fainted if it wasn't for Ava saying "hurry up the movie is on." "Oh shoot" said my mom as she put the grilled cheese sandwiches on the plates. We both rushed to the couch in time to watch the movie. I sat next to my mom and Ava. I noticed Ernest looking at me. I couldn't help but love his eyes. What has gotten into me.