Weekend Plans

Ruby's POV

"Mom" I said frustrated with her. "I told you no" said my mom as she stood in front of me. "Why" I said knowing I have a date tonight. "You have Ava and Ernest here why do you want to hangout with more friends today" asked my mom. "It's what we call a hangout" I told her. "You are too young to go out by yourself" my mom said.

"Oh so I was too young to buy my first bra" I questioned her. "Or was I too young to start my period" I asked her. "When I got my first job was I too young to" I asked her. Each time she has said I am a women now. "Those are different" my mom said annoyed. She crossed her arms not having it.

"How" I asked her already frustrated with this conversation. "You are just a little girl" said my mom. "You called me a woman for all of those" I said as I crossed my arms. I watched as she sighed. "Fine but you will be home by 8 p.m." my mom said agreeing with me. "Thank you" I said not complaining anymore.

"Go and hangout" said my mom as she turned to go grab a beer from the fridge. I ran upstairs into my room in a hurry. Once I got there I closed the door. I sighed and turned to Ava and Ernest. "She fell for it" I said happily. Ava smiled at me and gave me a hug. "Fell for what" asked Ernest confused.

"Ruby has a date tonight" said Ava. I smiled as she mentioned that. I did notice that Ernest did seem a bit odd after. I couldn't tell if he was happy or anything. He had a unfazed look as if he became a robot. "I'm happy for you" said Ernest as he turned his head away. When he looked back at me his hands were on his face.

He hadn't shown me attention like that. "Who is it" asked Ava as she held onto my arm. "His name is Jacob" I said happily. "He is from my school" I told them. "Wait are you talking about Jacob Hernandez" said Ava shocked. "I believe so, is this him" I said showing her a photo of him. I watched as anger took over Ernest.

"Why what's wrong" I asked when Ernest stood up immediately. "They hate each other" said Ava. "What" I said not knowing what to say. "Look Jacob is not someone you can trust" said Ernest as if he was warning me. I didn't understand what the big deal was. How could they hate each other.

"Ernest and Jacob we're friends until Jacob betrayed Ernest" said Ava as she tried to explain to me. Her facial expression showed me sad and concerning eyes. "Jacob had to repeat senior year for his crimes" said Ernest as he crossed his arms. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They had to be wrong.

"What should I do" I asked them. They both looked at each other then at me. "He is my date tonight" I said needing a answer. "Look he could have changed" said Ava as she took the benefit of the doubt. "Or not. Look Ruby it is your choice" said Ernest as he still sounded annoyed.

"Come on give me real advice" I said to them. They are trying to hide how they really feel about this information. "I would still go" said Ava as she shrugged her shoulders. "It's your choice but I wouldn't dare go with someone who will make your life a living hell" said Ernest.

I watched him walk out of the room as he finished talking. Me and Ava ran after him down the stairs. We ran outside to keep up with him. He was angry and speed walking which wasn't a good sign. I watched as he stopped when we all heard a motorcycle pull up. It was Jacob.

He took off his helmet and held it in his hand. "Hey Ruby" said Jacob as he looked at me. I watched as his eyes flickered to Ernest. I could tell his nostrils flared as they saw each other. "Ernest long time no see" said Jacob. "No kidding" said Ernest as he began to walk away. Ava grabbed her brother's arm to walk him away from Jacob.

"Is this your new friend" said Jacob as he mentioned to me. Ernest looked at me with caring eyes as if he was try to protect me. I did notice hesitation when he sighed and looked down as if he was forgetting about it. Ernest wanted to protect me. "Have fun on your date" said Ernest as if he had venom on his tongue.

Ernest looked at me and gave me a caring smile. "Be careful" was the last thing Ernest said before he and Ava walked across the street. "Bye Ruby" said Ava. I walked to Jacob's motorcycle and got on. Jacob handed me his helmet to wear. I put it on as he started it. I sighed feeling off about the situation.

I put my fingers around Jacob's belt loops on his pants. I didn't feel comfortable with putting my arms on him. We barely know each other. Once we finished with that Jacob started to drive. We passed Ernest and Ava's house. As we did I couldn't help but notice that Ernest was looking at me through the door way.

I sighed feeling my heart being torn. I felt like I had to pick a side. Ernest didn't want me to do this. I chose Jacob's side and now Ernest seems angry.did I make the right choice to go with Jacob. I think only time will tell since we drove out of the neighborhood and towards the city.

As we drove I had closed my eyes trying to clear my thoughts. It was my first time being on a motorcycle and I was living it up. I had to stop thinking about what Ernest had said. Everything didn't make sense when he said it. I shook my head and tried to live in the moment. It had to work right.