Adult

Ruby's POV. A week later

I would say stuff in a relationship doesn't always go as planned. I never had to deal with anything like this before and it is very hard to understand. What can I do in a situation like this. Ernest was having a huge argument with his family. I learned that there was more drama then I thought.

"You aren't helping the situation" said Dalvin. "I am just trying to help" I said. I didn't know what to do at all. "Of course you are listening to her" said Elsie. "I can listen to who I want" said Ernest. His family are finally arguing about him joining the family business. "I am an adult and I am able to do what I want" said Ernest. Elsie did not look happy about that. "I am an adult and that's it" said Ernest.

"Son" said Ricco in a elderly ill voice. We all turned to look at him. "If they want to be with each other they can be" said Ricco. Elsie pulled out a cigarette and started smoking. Her big puffs of air showed how anxious she was. Her son didn't want to do what she wanted. Elsie should learn to back off.

She was a over possessive mother. She was a mom who had to control her son. His father was very ill so of course he had no say. I have learned that now. It was very hard to get through this. I am just an outsider being pulled into family drama.

"You are able to do what you want" said Ricco well he was trying to walk. "Ellyn" said Elsie angrily. I knew she couldn't do anything other then catch him. Her arms were already around him. Elsie rolled her eyes. She was probably thinking she could do so much better then Ellyn.

She hasn't done anything but she just reminds me of rich people problems. Elsie wasn't an ideal mother but she was still a good person. I did get along with her whenever things didn't include Ernest. "He has fallen in love and we should let him fulfill his dreams" said Ricco. I smiled since Ricco was right.

Ernest knew that he should be happy. He was a adult and he won't live with them any longer. He is twenty years old. What is holding him back from telling his mother to let him do what he wants. I have more freedom with my dreams the best does. To be honest I don't even have any. That's the sad thing.

At least Ernest was man enough to tell them that. His mother and brother are the only ones who are trying to control him. "I give you permission to not work in the family business and continue the dynasty and follow your dreams in working at the motorcycle shop" said Ricco. I was honestly amazed at what he did for his son. Ernest thanked him.

I knew Elsie was going to be mad but at least she still had her son. I knew that she was going to have to forgive him at one point. A controlling mother has to back off at one point. She can't control his whole life. If a mother is running your life when you are twenty then maybe tell her to back off. You are still family but you can't ask family for permission anymore.

You are an adult and that's when you pick what you do with your life. Your family will always be there no matter what. If your family doesn't agree and they stop talking to you then you found out how toxic they are. I wouldn't want Ernest to fight his mother for being with me. It's not right to do that.

Family is family but that also gives them boundaries. You can't ask them to do what you want. As an adult you need to learn to be one and having your family back off is one step closer to doing that. Moving out or even just saying that gets you closer to being an adult and Ernest has done this.

Most guys don't see this as a sign and it is the biggest issue in a relationship. I just went through the biggest family fight that could ever happen between me and Ernest. I at least never told Ernest to tell his family something because he was man enough to tell them that they can't control what he works at. He knew and I am so proud of him. I couldn't be happier and the look on his face told me the same thing. His mother and brother had a different reaction.

This is his life and he should make the most of it. Dalvin walked away with paperwork in his hands. Elsie just used another cigarette. Both of them had the most angriest looks on their faces. Ava was jumping up and down with excitement. "You did it" said Ava happily. I was adoring Ernest from where he stood. He looked happy with his father for what he did for him.

Ellyn was helping Ricco get back to his bed side and I couldn't describe what Ernest was feeling. He started doing little hops. He was jumping up and down excitedly. Ernest grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him. When I was thinking about how Ernest became an adult Ernest's dad let him own the motorcycle shop. Ernest will be the new owner.

"I will be the owner of my own motorcycle shop" said Ernest. I remembered when we saw the sun and that dad and his boy took a photo on his motorcycle. He told me that moments like that was why he rides. I couldn't believe what he told me but I liked him more. He was the sweetest man I know.

"Let's go celebrate" said Ava as she already grabbed her phone. "Invite Flint" said Ernest. "No guarantee" said Ava with a smile as she went to call everyone. I looked to Ernest and he was smiling down at me so brightly. "I did it" said Ernest as he engulfed me in a very tight hug. I hugged him back because he was just as happy as he can be.