- Chapter 14: (The Promise That Was Made)

- Haeun's POV:

After Hwi questioned Ga-On about who he works for, we went to his study room.

I watch as Hwi paces back and forth in deep thought as he soon sighs.

"What on Earth could he have planned?" Hwi asks as he walks over to a shelf of books and quickly rummages through them.

Soon, some of the books fall to the ground as I quickly rush over to help pick them up.

As me and Hwi pick the books back up, I see Hwi look at a small brown box.

I watch him as he slowly opens the box.

In it, I see a book and a lucky pouch. Hwi then slowly grabs the book and the lucky pouch out of the box.

I then see the title of the book: 'JWAJEON' as Hwi flips through it.

Hwi then opens the lucky pouch and pulls a folded paper out. He then opens it as I read the word 'YEON-SEON'.

"He wouldn't...", Hwi says as I look at him in deep thought.

'Who is he talking about?', I think as I suddenly hear someone speak from behind me.

"Your Highnesses, what are y'all doing here?", I hear Hyun say. I quickly turn around and look at him as Hwi starts to panic and quickly puts the book and lucky pouch back in the box.

"Uh... Ugh. Hyun.", Hwi says as I help him stand up.

"Why are you so startled?", Hyun asks with a chuckle as he looks at Hwi.

Hyun then looks at the floor and notices some of the books that fell.

"Uh, allow me to lend y'all a hand.", Hyun says as he starts to walk closer ot me and Hwi.

"No. There is no need... I heard thay you will be the one who will be in charge of receiving the envoys from Ming. Will there be anything I can do to help you?", Hwi quickly says to Hyun.

'Why wouldn't he let Hyun help?', I think as I look at the box again.

'Is Hyun not supposed to see that?', I think as I look at back at Hyun for his response to Hwi.

"No, my Lord.", Hyun responds as he chuckles again.

"I know that you have a lot on your mind already.", Hyun adds.

"Well, I just wanted to accompany you when you leave the Palace... Wasnt that obvious?", Hwi responds while he starts to laugh nervously.

Hwi then looks back at the box and stands in front of it.

'Is he trying to hide it? I guess Hyun really isn't supposed to see it... Or me, I guess. I don't think Hwi noticed that I saw...', I think as I look at Hwi suspiciously.

"Well, then why don't we discuss this after your exam? The exam is very important to you.", Hyun replies.

"Yes. I guess... that will be better for me.", Hwi says.

"Well, I will let you two get back to what y'all were doing before I came in.", Hyun says as he bows and then exors the room.

"So... Do you have any ideas on what the answer to your exam could be?", I ask Hwi as he looks at me.