105 ⭑ Hearing Damage.

"You wish you felt better..."
Hearing Damage by Thom Yorke.

✰ ✰ ✰

"Go."

Pushing up to the safe house as fast I could with Zayn and with my gun drawn, my heart hammered inside my chest.

My feet were calculated but uneasy.

My focus had to be rewired away from Cher and Niko's well-being and I had to focus on what really mattered right now.

Ending this all.

I hoped however, that they were safe. So far, everything seemed to be according to plan.

The safe house that Aurora had chosen was in the middle of the woods. It was a rural cabin with carved log walls, a dingy lamp on the porch, and grass growing tall enough around it that someone could hide in it.

It was dusty. It looked to be abandoned, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. It felt haunted, or--like someone had already been there.

There was a presence among the fog and the stiff, stark cold air around us.

We crept up the creepy, creaking porch with silent breaths; standing on either sides of the door.

I peeked into the foggy front window just a little, only to have my sight of inside be clouded by a sheer, dirty lacy curtain.

I could see an old 70's box TV set inside and a couch covered in dirt and stains of... fuck knows what.

There was a newer computer in the corner like someone had brought it there, but it was covered in dust too.

"Harlow, there's someone inside."

I moved my head immediately away from the view of the curtain and stilled my body, looking over at him. "What?"

"There's someone tied up, I-I can see them through this window. There's a hallway through this room, and a cracked open door, someone's tied up in there. I see arms and a chair. Fuck." He cursed softly. He grabbed a lock-pick from his pocket and then bent down to the door, shoving it inside.

"The hell? Aurora's keeping hostages?"

"It wouldn't surprise me, the question is who the hell is it?" He glared up at me with a quirked brow.

I blew out a breath and kept my finger tight on the trigger while I looked out onto the misty, drenched forest.

Zayn popped the lock, shoved the tools back into his pocket, and then stood up.

He used his foot to gently push the door open and I wished it didn't creak how it did, but with a house as rusty as this one, it was impossible not to make noise.

Zayn advanced forward and walked into the house with as gentle of a step as he could manage and I followed.

I raised my gun and scanned the front hallway where there were two walls and two entrances.