Chapter 8: Three questions

Max handed her Katee a small bowl of pepper soup to help her ease her nerves. The ride back had been extremely awkward she had kept quiet through out.

"Thank...." Katee made an attempt to acknowledge and appreciate his help but was cut off.
" What did I say about thanking me" Max asked menacingly.....

"Can I ask you a question?"
"You only have 3 questions use them wisely." Max replied her spooning chunk of fresh fish with the spicy soup.

"Why don't you like me telling you thank you" Katee asked in a tiny voice. Max couldn't help but chuckle. Katee took note of the way his eyes squinted when he laughs and his gold teeth that was now visible.

Max shook his head at her after recovering from his short laugh. " Well if you are so bothered about it and must know I don't feel it right that you have to thank me knowing that I'm one of the people contributing to your predicament and new job" Max replied honestly watching her nodding slightly

" Second question why did you decide to work for Mr. Grey that man...,"

Max lokked at her and shook his head. "The ghetto Is a tough place to grow up. Especially when you and you sister are orphans with no place to sleep at night except behind Night clubs. We never had areal home and when Mr Grey made an offer to me to work for him. I couldn't reject nor refuse it. An apartment, a nice salary that would help take care of my sister and send her to law school." Max was still smiling when he finished answering but his mask wasn't strong enough to convince Katee that he was happy with his current job.

" Last question Katee don't waste it"

"I won't... Why did you save me today" Katee finally asked the question that had been bugging her. He  could have ignored like every other person in her life but chose to help.

"What were you expecting me to do ignore... Look I might not have a reputable job or be the nicest person but I won't let anyone assault a little girl under my watch....."

Katee mumbled thank you before catching her self. She took her bowl and his that were empty to head to her small kitchen when he spoke up making her drop the plates in the sink quickly and return to listen.

"My sister Jessy. She was once raped by a couple of guys outside the club when we started working for Mr. Grey. I wasn't around to help her and when I did return she refused to talk to me and I had to find out on my own...... I sent her off to law school thinking I was doing her a favour. Now though I realise I was just doing it for my self . I couldn't stand seeing my only family sink deeper into depression everyday so I sent her away.... we rarely  talk now."

"Thank you" Katee said engulfing him in a big unexpected hug. "She might understand you if you at least talk to her one of these days. Who knows she probably was never mad at you to begin with."

Max quickly pulled her back his menacing glare now in place. "I'm not a fan of hugs keep that in mind" Katee quickly nodded it was wrong to go at him like that.