Chapter 24: Blinding lights

.Katee tried to reduce her presence seeing Aarav walk into the room quickly without knocking.

"What is she doing here again?" Aarav asked they weren't allowed to be together after what happened last time.

"Adam brought her here. She needs somewhere to stay" Lia explained gently even though you could see her fidgeting a little the closer he got.

"There are many rooms in this house. He must be desperate"

"Or wicked and stupid.." Lia mumbled
"Huh you know I hate mumbling so speak up" Aarav laid on the bed and kicked off his shoes.

"I'm sorry... Do you need anything from me?" Lia stood up uncomfortable with him so close.

"Sit down right now!!" Lia quickly obeyed his order sitting on the edge of the bed she looked straight ahead scared of what he came for.

"I've not been able to sleep for a while now. Can I hold you and sleep here for a few hours." It sounded like a request but Lia knew she wasn't allowed to refuse so she kept mute.

He helped her lay down and held her almost immediately falling asleep. Lia watched Aarav sleep wondering if he was still the same person she fell in love with before she found out he killed people for fun. She wanted to go back home to her family but she could never tell him cause that would mean she loved them more than him. 
To Aarav anyone she loved more or even slightly liked had to be killed as they were his competitors.

Katee sat at the top of the stairs waiting for Aarav to leave so she could sleep on Lia's couch. That was all she did lately, eat and sleep.

She jolted when she felt a tap on her shoulder and found Lucas standing in front of her. She didn't hear him come up the stairs.
"Thought you'd be here since Aarav went in. I brought you a plate of food. I heard he put you on a diet.  This has everything you shouldn't be eating." Lucas smiled brightly at her but she couldn't smile back.

She however accepted the food. He was right Adam had been starving her. She was almost done with the food but Lucas was still watching over  her.

She cleared the plate and looked back at him. She quickly bowed her head in thanks handing him the plate.
"Won't you say something?" Lucas asked collecting the plate. "...." Kateee moved her mouth to say thank you but her voice wouldn't come out. She mouthed the words but no sound was made.

"It's okay..." Lucas bent a little stretching forth his hand but she immediately flinched back like a touch from him would burn her to ashes.

"I just wanted to pat your hair and feel the texture.... I've never really seen you without a weave-on" Lucas retrieved his arm. Katee slowly raised her hand to touch her afro hair the only part of her mom she actually inherited.

She couldn't hold the tears as they kept streaming down her face however she didn't make a single sound while crying

"I'm sorry did I say something to hurt you." Lucas quickly apologised not expecting her go cry so suddenly. "Do you want to go to the hair stylist?"
The question was too sudden and unexpected but she nodded yes.

"Let's go, get a coat first it's cold outside" Katee shook her head she didn't have a coat either. Adam had thrown other clothes she had and left just 2 set of clothes.
"It's fine let's go" Lucas took her hand which she tried to pull back but he wouldn't let go.

*****

Katee winced as the comb went through her  nappy hair. She had tears in her eyes but she wasn't crying because of her hair. She remembered when  Caro helped her make her hair her chest hurt and she couldn't help but clutch it.

"What's wrong do you need something?" Lucas was beside her in a heartbeat looking worried. He left to get a bottle of water while Katee went back into her thoughts.

"... Thank you" Katee scribbled this on a piece of paper and handed it to Lucas thanks to him she was able to leave outside the mansions walls for one day. She held a small take away containing the hamburger she saved for Lia to her chest as the car stopped at the entrance to the mansion.

It was dark inside and Katee proceeded to go to Lia's room peacefully and call it a day. One step was all she took and all the lights came on blinding her. When she was sure her eyes had adjusted to the lights she looked around the room all the other brothers were present.