Chapter 40:

Adam was the first to snap out of it as he swiftly approached them.

"Run!!" Katee pulled the twins behind her as they ran down the hallway taking a corner. She found an emergency bell and didn't hesitate to ring it.

Immediately it went off the hallway began to fill up with students and teachers slowing Adam down. Katee dragee the twins into an empty classroom pushed open a window and helped them climb out before following. She broke the window of the first car she saw and kept trying to hot wire the car. Cursing her self for not paying attention when Joe taught her to do it properly.

The car finally started and as she drove out the parking lot scratching a few cars from her side mirror she could see Adam standing outside making a call.

She placed a call to Joe but when he didn't pick up she called Femi.

"He found me. He found us..."
"Who found you?"
"Adam. I need you to get Lia and the boys to the loading dock. Pack some clothes for everyone anything warm would do."
"You aren't making sense how did Adam find you?"

"Look Femi just do what I said clothes, food, first aid drugs, some guns that's all I ask"

****

"Where are we going to?" Lia asked her for the hundredth time but Katee was too focused on securing the four children in the car, putting as much stuffs as she could into the back of the pickup truck.
"I know I shouldn't be questioning you but do you really think running away Is the best solution right now"
Katee took in a deep breath before replying him.
"He saw me Femi not a passing glance. He saw me and he chased me. He won't let it go I know he won't. I'll come back but first I need to disappear."

Joe came rushing towards them a worried look on his face. "I just called our contact on Keiko Island he can't make available passage for us. Something about it being too risky"

At the moment Katee's brain was working over time. She couldn't think of a place where Adam wouldn't find her. Only hope was the black market since his family was banned from trading there he wouldn't follow her.

"Katee what's happening?" Lia had been less chatty lately except with her sons but she could tell the atmosphere was for some reason tense.
"It's nothing you'd like to hear about" she was pacing around pulling at her hair.
"Katee are you okay? Hey is something wrong did Aarav find us?"
"No but Adam saw me now I have to run all over again or he's gonna take away my  babies and I can't live without them"
"Katee slow down a bit" but Katee wouldn't stop pacing or pulling her hair.
"Mummy? What's wrong?" Christabelle was the first to get down from the car and almost immediately was beside her mother
"Get back into the car and stay there. Christabelle now!! Hey hey calm down. Joe get her meds now!!!! It's me Katee listen to me you are safe no one is going to get you. You are safe, your babies are fine" Joe immediately returned with her medication and after a shot Katee slowly relaxed. Everyone was quiet taking what just happened and the fact that there was no where to run to.

"Nora from Apartment 3 called you. She said a man there with a basket of muffins claimed he had dropped you off there yesterday"
"Can't you see the drugs are yet to take effect fully let her rest"

"Wait! Wait that's it. Call her back I have a plan."
****
Katee watched at the black range rover as it came to a stop beside them. The driver's door opened and Manny stepped out hurrying towards her. He pulled her into a hug and she immediately began to shed fake tears Lia and the children could only watch her act, the twins wondering what was wrong their mummy.

"Hey its okay you will be safe I'll make sure of that. You must be Lia my pleasure to meet such kind woman as your self get in the car let's go"

The ride was quiet Katee kept up her act of a frightened young damsel who needed saving. Lia was too surprised to be scared she couldn't understand a thing happening and no one would tell.

As the car pulled into the familiar environment of Manny's property Katee secretly surveyed the environment realising that if Adam raided this place she, Lia and the kids would surely be captured there were only four guards on duty

"Andrew please prepare a meal and Maria please show them to their room" Manny gave them a reassuring smile reminding them once more that they would be safe.

~~~~
That night after dinner Katee sneaked out her room deciding to check the back of the house for possible quick escape routes.
She hadn't gone far when she noticed someone following her it was too late though the next minute two pair of arms grabbed her one gagging her and covering her head with a sack while the other suppressed her resistance.

Katee had to shut her eyes tight after they removed the sack at first shocked by the blinding light in the room. From the intricate designs and large portrait above the King's bed she could tell that this was Manny's room.

"What's going on here?" They had bound her to a chair and she didn't bother struggling it was so tight it had stopped blood circulation in her wrist.

"Katee you lied to me" Manny walked out of his bathroom in a robe approaching her the way a predator would.
"What are you talking about?"
"The twins they are your kids aren't they? I heard you in their room you are their mother. You told me they belonged to the kind lady who had allowed you stay at her place and that you both ran because a man was after you. What else are you lying about?" Manny pulled out the gun from his top drawer and attached the silencer he got from his closet.
"Yes yes they are mine please let me explain I can explain!!"

"You wouldn't be alive if I didn't want an explanation."
"I didn't lie entirely and it wasn't on purpose. I wasn't sure if I could trust you, how was I to know you wouldn't just return me to him." Katee took in a deep breath thinking of her lie.
"My step mother convinced my father to sell me to a man he owed money. This man owned a club and I was to work there as  stripper..." she paused to look at Manny expecting him to give her a disgusted look but he never did
"I also did escort jobs. A man raped me in the VIP room one night and that should have been the end of it but I was sold to that same man."
"Who is this man? What is his name?" Katee hesitated in telling but Manny was waiting
"Adam King" She finally noticed a strange expression on his face
"He tortured, abused and raped me for a long time nearly killing me a few times. I got pregnant for him eventually and managed to escape. He's been trying to find me ever since but I wasn't in the country. I went to stay with a distant relative but after he died I had no where to go, had to come back. The night you found me I was running away from him. Lia is my high-school friend who has been watching my kids"

  Katee was annoyed when she felt tears on her cheeks. No one was worth her tears but it hurt to recount her shitty experience.

"You've been on the run with his kids and you came to me for help. Why didn't you just tell me the truth?"
"You only helped me that night because you found me attractive. If I had told you I had kids you'd stop finding me attractive. Men don't really find single mothers the most attractive at least not enough for a serious relationship"
Katee could still see he was doubting her a little.
"If you don't believe me interrogate Lia separately if she says a different thing you'd know I was lieing"
"I find everything about you attractive. The way you look, talk, eat, smile, think, everything. I like everything about you" Manny dropped the gun aside and bent to free her from her bounds.
"Boss. We should interrogate the other lady before trusting her words." Katee hadn't even realised that Andrew was in the room behind her.

"I trust her Andrew. You can leave" after he was done freeing her Katee placed a finger on her wrist looking at the marks.

Katee stood up after she was sure her blood was circulating properly and her legs wouldn't fail her.
"I'm sorry that I lied to you we will leave your house right now" Katee hobbled to the door but he stopped her.

"I'm not chasing you away you should stay."
"I know but I don't think we should be here"
"Katee at least look at me... I don't want you to leave I don't care if its Adam's father I'll protect you from them all."
"And who's going to protect me from you. You were going to kill me just seconds ago... I can't go through that again" Katee struggled against his grip annoyed that she couldn't just paralyse him in the moment.

"Katee please understand me I have alot of people after me so I have to be cautious who I trust. What happened wouldn't have if you were truthful."

Katee stopped struggling and stared at him a new plan formulating in her head.
"I don't want you to get into trouble because of me"
"I won't. Have a little faith in me... Katee?"
He was staring right at her lips and she blinked innocently like she had no idea what was going on.
"Can I kiss you?"
"Yes"