Chapter 32: Miserable Birthdays

"...Adam it was just a harmless note" Katee said this for the hundredth time while the guards kicked and hit the young man on the ground. He was pulling her away from the back of the mall.

*****
"He is..." Katee stopped talking and instead tried to pry away Adam's fingers which were clenching her throat threatening to crush her window pipe.

"Keep talking about him and I'll have them operate on you and make you mute permanently" He let go of her and she fell to the floor after her legs failed to keep her standing. Worse of all she looked back and saw the young man lying in a pool of blood his head smashed.
Katee couldn't help the but puke into the wwll maintained grass by the sidewalk they were on.

Without warning three ladies were beside her fussing over her as they helped her stand her up and wash her mouth...

...Katee was walking slightly behind Adam her head lowered no longer bothering to make an attempt at enjoying her limited time away from her cage. He was even more excited to go around the mall than she could ever be. He was trying to engage her on meaningless conversations like he didn't just order for someone to be killed then strangle and threaten her a few minutes agso

Something caught her eyes and for a couple of minutes she stood staring into a shop. She remembered what she had tried to supress within her since she woke up early that morning in Lucas room.
Today was her birthday and no she wasn't happy about that contrary to what most people felt on their birthdays she was miserable. Her birthday had always been a reminder of her mom's death anniversary and this time around it was worse. Someone else had died because of her on her birthday. At this rate she felt she was cursed. If only she hadn't been conceived a lot of people wouldn't have died because of her.

Adam had walked a few steps away only to notice she wasn't following behind. He frowned when he saw her staring into a bakery, drops of tears streaming down her face.

"Hey what's wrong do you want me to buy you something from there." Katee looked at Adam having missed what he said she didn't reply. He on other hand took her silence and blank expression as yes.

Taking her hand he pulled her into the shop while the entourage waited outside. "What flavour of cake should we get. I personally like red velvet we should get that" Katee wasn't listening she was looking out the window at a group of little children not older than 12 who were staring dreamily at a huge chocolate cake kept on an elevated platform

"You know what I'll buy all the available flavours of your cakes and a basket of muffin" The shop owner and her attendant were excited to have such a customer who wasn't worried about spending money.

"Can you wrap this one for me?" Katee was pointing at the cake the kids were staring at.  "Yes ma'am"

"Hey" Katee waved the kids over and they warily walked closer to her. She had a thought that maybe if she was nice to this kids maybe just maybe it'd make her day less miserable.

"Here I want you to have this the shop attendant brought the cake to their view and they couldn't help their glee. It took two of them to carry it but they didn't forget to thank her profusely.

" Remember to show your parents and share it equally" Adam had a smile on thinking her pregnancy was the reason she was being nice to those kids.

                              *****

Katee looked out the ceiling to wall glass window in Adam's office now that she had nothing to do but think her mind was all over the place reminiscing things and not the good things.
"Katee" she whipped her head in te direction she heard the cold empty voice come from but didn't see a thing.

"Did someone say my name" her question was thrown at the 2 gaurds in the room and the three ladies she had come to realise were nurses.
"No ma'am" they seemed genuinely surprised to hear her speak.

"Katee!!" This time around the voice was more shrill
Katee looked at the people in the room with her but they didn't seem to have heard it.

"Did you hear that?" This time around they all gave her weird glances. Was she finally loosing it?
Her gaze travelled back to the door and the sight made her scream loud enough to attract the entire workers on that floor.