Chapter 12: Ruining a rented Merchandise

For a long excruciating minute Katee forgot to look away and kept staring into the eyes of the unknown man. Eyes like whirlpools that threatened to suck her in permanently. When she finally realised what she was doing she looked away but she was ever conscious of the man watching her.

She was so invested in looking away that she failed to notice the man on the white shirt beside her.

"My lady would you be kind enough as to let me have this dance"
Katee looked up at the man then looked at Mr. Derek who signalled for her to go on.
She swallowed hard aware her dancing skills couldn't even be called average but knowing these men were not to be messed with she couldn't reject his request.

"Yes sir" Katee dropped her drink on the table.
"Call me Lucas"

Katee found her self on the dance floor twirling around under the guidance of Lucas all along she felt on edge unable to shake of the feeling that she was being watched and when she finally managed to pay attention to Lucas she was drawn in by the way he spoke she couldn't help but laugh a little at his awkward but funny comments he made when ever she missed a step and ended up stepping on his shoes.

The dance ended and they returned back to the table but this time around Lucas had a server place his chair besides Katee.

"So Baby what do you do?" Katee cringed a little at the name. She should have told Mr. Grey that she didn't want to be called Baby.

"I'm a student" Katee replied unsure what she was to tell them. Saying the truth that she was a stripper and part time high priced escort seemed out of the question so the next best thing was what she just did 'LIE'
"Interesting what college" Katee wasn't sure which college to mention she could mention one but what if he asked her questions about it. She was just a high-schooler betrayed and sold by her supposed family. Instead she reached for a glass of wine and unfortunately it tipped spilling down the table and a little on her dress before she could stand up.

"I'm sorry excuse me" she quickly left for the restrooms to clean her dress and find some space away from all those unknown men.

"Shit!" Katee cursed coming out of the bathroom. The wine was fortunately washed off on time. But there was a small stain it was negligible but she feared Mr. Derek might ask her to pay for it.

Katee returned from the bathroom to see that no one was at the table any longer and she sighed in relief for a bunch of reasons she was happy. She took a glass of wine from a waiter and sat at the table going through her phone while waiting for Mr. Derek to return.

Something came across her mind she hadn't seen Max through out the event wasn't he meant to be protecting her. Feeling stuffed she went to the balcony and took a seat looking at the night view if the city from the 12th floor and also last floor of the hotel.

"Katee" Katee whipped her head around hearing her name she saw Stephanie behind her.

"You stupid girl I knew there was something familiar about you so this is what you do slutting around with men your father's age."
Katee realised it was a trap and frowned putting up her own act.

"Ma I think you have me confused I'm not Katee. My name is Baby"
"Drop the act your voice is the same and you have the same eye colour you must think I'm stupid."

"Yes I do think you are stupid cause if you aren't you wouldn't be standing here claiming I was another person"
Katee spied Mr. Derek and her dad headed their way seeing an opportunity for mischief she provoked Stephanie more and she fumble fell into the trap.

One minute Stephanie was reaching out to grab her calling her Katee the next Katee had broken some skin on that same arm with her nails causing blood to drip out of the wounds.
Katee began to cry weakly. "I already told you I was   sorry did you really have to harm me. I'm not Katee you have me mistaken."
By now Mr. Derek, her dad along with the five men  were on the balcony. She quickly hid behind Mr. Derek holding on to her arm that had the injury.

"Honey can you imagine this brat is Katee. Who would have imagined she would start hanging around with old men" Stephanie complained to her husband who tried to hush her but failed.

"Mr. Brown Sullivan Enterprise will no longer be needing your service as a contractor. If you can't control this mad dog you call a wife from hurting and insulting people how will you be able to coordinate numerous workers" Mr. Derek said this with a straight face he was doing this for three reasons.
Firstly he never wanted to work with this man and this was a better way to throw him out.
Second to put up a strong front before these five extinguished guests and everyone present.
Lastly he would have to pay Mr. Grey for damage on his rented merchandise.

Katee looked up slightly at Stephanie who was pleading along with her father she gave a little cunning smile before looking at the other people around them.
She realised that the man on biege shirt had been watching her he had this knowing look on his face like he understood what she just did and she quickly looked anywhere but at him.

*****
2 year later
Katee dropped her books in her locker and took out her bag heading home headphones on. One good thing about having her own money she earned a pretty good sum from the club and her interval escort jobs. Since she had no bills to pay the money was being saved by her and sometimes she would buy her self some things.

The headphones was a birthday gift from Max though Caro had also gotten her a customised necklace for her sweet sixteen her seventeenth birthday was also the same shespent it with them in Caro's apartment. They had unconsciously become her new family. At least they treated her way better than her original family.

Her step siblings no longer attended this school and wasn't that pure bliss. One more month and she would be done with high-school and well she wasn't sure what she would do with her life. Maybe apply for a college degree online. She would also have to find another job the faster.

Stepping outside she got into Max car and smiled at him. He was always here to pick her up on time even though he no longer had to.

Katee looked out the window and was reminded of something. She stared at the black car behind them through the mirror and turned to Max.