Permanent Escape (Dr. Facilier x Reader)

A/N: Please take caution as this chapter does include abuse and violence.

Your Pov:

I shivered as I walked down the cold, dark streets of New Orleans. I had been chased out of my house in nothing but my pajamas and some worn out sneakers. I sighed and slumped against a building.

I remember that day when he walked up to me. Wrote my number down, put it in the pocket of his blue jeans. And I fell like a feather, yeah, just like that, we were together. He was my perfect gentleman, sweet like, real sweet...

My cheek was throbbing and my eye felt swollen. I didn't understand why he was like that, or how we ended up in this viscous cycle. He'd drink, come home angry, and the rest was something I didn't like to think about. A cold gust of wind made me shiver.

Tonight, he came home both very angry and very drunk. I had been cooking dinner, a large pot of gumbo, when he got there. In his rage, he swiped the pot off the stove, the food nearly burning me. After that, he came after me. He got my face and ribs pretty badly. Even just walking hurt a lot.

And his hands felt like thunder on my skin. His breath hot, oh, how or how could I forget. That his eyes looked right through me and that was it. Silence was the only sound then, and my heart pounding...

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I whirled around, to see a tall man behind me. He was smirking, but as soon as he saw my face, the smirk dropped. He spoke, "You need help little lady?" I bit my lip, "Um...no, sir. I'm fine." He hmm'd, "Well, why don't you come into my little shop for a bit. Warm your hands? And maybe I'll read your cards." I paused, "I...read my cards?" He nodded, "I can read your past, present, and future. And change it around some too." I looked up at him, "Alright."

He took me down an alleyway to a small shop. Inside was dim and many trinkets lined the shelves and walls. He sat me down at a table and sat in front of me, "Now, the cards. The cards will tell all. Watch as the past, the present, and the future unfold."

He shuffled the cards and laid out three, face down. He flipped over the first one, showing a heart with a crack and tears collecting in a puddle under it. He spoke, "Your past is filled with unrequited love and broken promises. Love has never worked out for you, I see. But your present reads differently."

He flipped over the next card. It revealed one of those half sad half happy theater mask but the mask looked bruised, dented, and chipped in places. He looked at me, "In the present, you are being hurt by someone you thought loved you. Whether that hurt is physical or emotional, well I can tell just fine."

I bit my lip, "He told me things would be different leaving church that Sunday. But the only change coming was the quarters in the ashtray. I should have known better. When the last three times he swore that he would never lay another finger on me,
but the truth's on my face..."

He nodded, "Hate the sin, love the sinner, huh?" He continued, "But your future gets brighter." He flipped the final card to show a wedding and two hands intertwined with matching wedding bands. He grinned, "In your future, it's a white wedding and hand you can hold. Happiness...for a price, that is."

I tilted my head, "A price?" He put the cards away, "I can give you freedom, but in exchange, you work for me. I'll get rid of your problem and you'll have the happiness you desperately want. What do you say?" I bit my lip. He held his hand out to me.

"Shake a poor sinner's hand?"

I made up my mind in that moment. I shook his hand. He chuckled, "Wise choice, little lady. Now..." He turned and whistled. These shadow like things accumulated on the wall. He looked at me, "You got any of the man's things on you?" I took off the locket from around my neck and gave it to him. He showed it to the shadow things, "You know what to do, my friends. Now go." The shadow things let out shrieks and cries as they disappeared from the room.

He turned back the me, "While they do that, let's get you cleaned up." He took me to a small house built into the back of the shop. He sat me down and put some kind of cream on my face. All the pain and throbbing disappeared. When I turned to the mirror, my face was no longer bruised or red. I spoke.

"Thank you."

He smirked, "Don't thank me yet, little lady. Oh, and if we're going to be working together, I should know your name." I nodded, "I'm (Y/n) (L/n)." He stood, "Just call me Facilier. Now, you should get some rest. Tomorrow I won't be easy on you." Then, he was gone. I stood and walked over to an armchair in the corner, grabbing a small blanket from the floor on the way over. I curled up in the chair and covered myself with the blanket before falling asleep.