MerTales (Arin (Male! Ariel x Mermaid! Reader)

Your Pov:

I sat in the bath, trying to prep myself for the day. Today was my 16th birthday. I shivered as the maid poured water over my hair. Then, she gasped and dropped the pitcher, the glass shattering as it made contact with the floor. "Y-Your highness...!" I turned around to face her. "What's the matter? You look like you've seen a ghost."

She held a small mirror up to me. "Your hair, it's..." My eyes widened. "It's blue! What happened?!" My hair now had ocean blue streaks throughout it. The maid looked at me. "I don't know your highness, but you need to get out and get ready."

I got out of the tub and dried off before the maid helped me get dressed.

I smiled at her

I smiled at her. "Thank you." I looked in the mirror. "But...what about my hair...? I can't let everyone see it like this!" The maid grabbed a brush and sat me down at my vanity. "I'll do my best, your highness."

...

When she was done, I smiled. "This is amazing! Thank you!" She bowed. "You're welcome, your highness. Now, we should head towards the ballroom. We only have 10 minutes before the ball begins."

I put my braid in the front, resting it against my upper chest to show the pearl detailing

I put my braid in the front, resting it against my upper chest to show the pearl detailing. It covered the blue streaks from sight. We walked towards the ballroom and found my parents waiting outside the door. The maid bowed and left.

Mother turned to me. "You look beautiful, darling. Happy birthday." Father nodded. "Yes, happy birthday my dear daughter." The doors opened and we walked down the staircase as we were announced. My parents took their place at their thrones and the hall began.

Once I stepped onto the floor, a boy my age approached. "Would you care to dance, your highness?" I bowed. "I'd be honored." We danced around the floor, talking and laughing. But the moment didn't last very long.

As we made another turn, the boy I was dancing with tripped and accidentally grabbed onto my braid, bringing me with him. The pearl string in my hair snapped, sending the pearls everywhere. I sat up and heard everyone gasp. The boy sat up and looked at me. "Are you alright-"

He paused. "...B-Blue hair...?" That's when I realized the blue streaks in my hair were visible to everyone in the room. I quickly got up and rushed out of the room. I made my way outside and down to the beach.

I took off my dress and tiara before diving into the water in my undergarments (Like Melody in the second Little Mermaid movie). I swam further out and floated on the surface. I took a deep breath and dove under the water. I opened my eyes, the salt not even bothering me.

I watched as a fish swam up to me. It looked at my necklace, then at me. "It's really you, (Y/n)! You're back!" I flinched as I heard the fish talk. It continued. "And you have the necklace! Use it so I can take you to Atlantica!" I felt the urge to swim back up for air but I was too far down.

I gasped for air, expecting water to fill my lungs, but nothing happened. I was breathing underwater. I looked at the fish. "W-What's happening...?" The fish smiled. "You've finally opened up your mermaid side!" I rose a brow. "Mermaid side? What are you talking about?" The fish gestures to my necklace.

"Say you wish to be a mermaid and you'll see!" I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "I wish to be a mermaid..." I opened my eyes and saw my legs engulfed in light. Soon the light dissipated and in place of my legs was a mermaid tail.

 Soon the light dissipated and in place of my legs was a mermaid tail

The fish started swimming away. "Follow me! Hurry!" I followed after the fish and 30 minutes later, we arrived at an underwater city complete with a golden castle. Mermaids, mermen, and various fish swam through the streets.

Suddenly, someone swam into me. We both yelped as we hit the sand. I looked at the person who bumped into me. "It was a merman with a green tail and bright red hair. He wore a necklace with a purple shell. He helped me up. "I'm so sorry! Are you ok?" I nodded. "I'm fine."

He looked me over one last time before swimming away. The fish brushed my arm. "Come on!" I followed the fish all the way into the palace. He took me to a throne room where an older merman sat. "Your majesty, I've found her! Nerissa's daughter!" The king looked at us. "Are you sure?" The fish nodded. "She has the necklace and even without it's powers she can breath underwater. And she has the silver tail!"

The king nodded. "Does she know how to spin merillia?" The fish shook it's head. "She didn't even know she was a mermaid until I showed her." I spoke up. "I'm sorry, but can someone explain to me what's going on? I don't understand any of this!"

The king turned to me. "I'll explain everything. Your mother was a beautiful mermaid named Nerissa. She came from a long line of powerful sorceresses. The spinning of merillia, the power to keep the sea healthy and alive, was passed from generation to generation. My late queen was also distantly from this family, giving her the power as well. However, now that she is gone, there is no one left in the royal family who can spin merillia."

I shook my head. "This can't be true. My parents are human. And they would've told me this." He sighed. "Your mother...had to give you up. Your father was a human and that made you a target of the sea witch. Your mother refused a deal from the sea witch and the sea witch vowed to get revenge on her through you."

I looked at him in shock. "But where are my real parents? And why did no one ever tell me about this?" He turned his gaze to the arched windows. "Your mother has passed on along with your father. But when your mother gave you up to your human parents, she made them promise to never tell you about her or your mermaid side. Now that you're back, we will finally have someone to spin merillia again."

I looked down. "But I don't even know how to! And what about my human life?" He put a hand on my shoulder. "We'll teach you. You can still live your human life, but we need you here now." I sighed. "Can I at least let my parents know?"

He nodded. "I'll have my son escort you back." He turned and called out. "Arin!" The red headed boy from earlier appeared. "Yes, father?" The king spoke. "I need you to take (Y/n) back to the beach of (kingdom name). And please, try not to be seen." Arin smiled. "Of course!"

Arin grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the throne room.

"So, what's your name?"