Star Crossed (Thomas x Engaged! Reader) PT. 1

A/N: Thomas from Pocahontas!

Your Pov:

The carriage came to a halt in front of the harbor. The door opened and my fiancé stepped out with Wiggins, who held Percy. One of the guards helped me out and I followed my fiancé to the boat. We boarded and Wiggins showed me to a room. "Here we are, my lady. If you need anything, please let me know." I smiled. "Of course."

He left the room and I sat on the bed. My fiancé, Governor Ratcliffe, had been sent to scout Virginia for gold. Our marriage had been arranged and I absolutely despised him, but my mother was ill and I desperately needed his money to help her.

I quietly left my room and went up to the main deck. Mr. Smith and most of the other men were talking, but I noticed another sitting by himself at the other end of the ship. I quietly walked over to him and nudged his shoulder lightly. "Thomas, why aren't you with the others?"

He jumped and quickly removed his hat as he bowed his head in respect before looking at me. "Ms. (L/n)! I...I wasn't really interested in what they were talking about..." I smiled. "I see. They really have no idea what they're talking about."

Thomas looked around for a moment before looking back at me and speaking quietly. "So why are you marrying Governor Ratcliffe? You both seem so different." I spoke quietly. "I don't want to marry him. But my mother is ill and I need to help her in any way I can."

He nodded. "I understand. I'd do anything for my mother. Especially if she was ill."

We talked for a while, laughing and enjoying each other's presence. Soon, the sun began to set. Just then, Wiggins approached the two of us. "My lady, Governor Ratcliffe demands your presence in his study." I stood. "I'll be right there." I looked at Thomas. "I'll see you later, Thomas."

I turned and quickly followed after Wiggins. Once we entered the study, Wiggins was excused. I sighed. "Yes, John?"

(A/N: Ratcliffe's first name is John, though it's not mentioned in either movie)

He looked at me. "I heard from Smith that you were conversing with that Thomas boy." I looked at him. "What about it?" He frowned. "As my wife to be, I expect you to act like it. You are a lady, not a harlot." My eyes widened in shock. "I-" He cut me off. "If I find that you've disobeyed me, there will be consequences." I nodded. "Yes, John."

He huffed. "Get out of my sight." I quickly turned and left the study. I locked eyes with Thomas on the deck, but I ignored him and went to my room.

...

Two days later, we were hit by a strong storm. Lightning lit up the sky and thunder rumbled overhead as the rain cascaded down. The ship rocked as it was hit with wave after wave. From my room, I could hear the men yelling on the deck.

My cowardly fiancé was hiding away in his study, not bothering to help the men who needed it.

A splash came from outside, then another came shortly after. Yelling echoed from the deck.

"Smith! Are you crazy man?!"

The storm had started to die down, so I grabbed an umbrella and made my way outside. Thomas sat wet and shivering on the deck as the others congratulated Mr. Smith for apparently saving him.

I kneeled down next to Thomas. "Are you alright?" He looked at me. "I-I'll be fine, miss. It's just a bit cold..." Then, I heard my fiancé's voice.

"Trouble on deck?"

Mr. Smith turned to him. "Thomas fell overboard, sir. I saved him." My fiancé nodded. "Thank heavens he's been safely retrieved." I draped another towel over Thomas's shoulders. "Don't get sick now. We have the new world to explore."

John cleared his throat. "(Y/n), a word?" Thomas looked at me in concern, but I ignored him. I followed John into the study. As soon as the door closed, I was thrown to the floor by a harsh slap to my face. John sneered at me. "I told you there'd be consequences if you disobeyed me."

He turned and went to his desk. "Get out." I got up and left the study. I went into my room and laid on the bed. My cheek throbbed and I knew that a bruise would form.

I turned over. The storm clouds had cleared and the stars twinkled in the sky. I always wanted to be free, like those stars in the sky. But just like they struggled against gravity, I struggled too.

A kind of struggling that would never end.

...

I woke up the next morning to one of the crew shouting. "Land ho!" I sat up and looked out the window.

We had made it to the new world.