Star Crossed PT. 2

Your Pov:

I was helped off the ship a short time later. I had covered my bruise with some makeup before I left. I watched as the crew unloaded the ship. Thomas was with Mr. Smith, tying off the ship.

I walked to the tree line, observing the forest. Everything here was beautiful. I walked further in, finding a small meadow with a pond. Plant vines wrapped around the trees facing the camp, creating thick walls.

I sat down by the pond, the skirt of my dress fanning out around me.

I picked flowers, absentmindedly making them into flower crowns. My mind wandered, tuning out everything around me. Suddenly, I heard Thomas's voice. "Ms. (L/n), what are you doing out here? A savage could've hurt you."

I looked at him. "I'm alright, Thomas. And...they're not savages. They're people like you and I who just live differently." He sat next to me. "I guess so." I plopped one of the flower crowns on his head. "There!"

One of the men called out. "The Governor's coming!" Thomas and I hurried back to where everyone else was. I separated myself from him and sat on a box next to Percy. Percy jumped up on my lap and laid down. I stroked his fur, sighing.

I watched as John convinced the crew to start digging for gold. I knew, however, that there couldn't possibly be any gold here. The climate was too cold to provide enough heat and the moisture from the water would rust any metals.

I put Percy down and went back to the meadow.

...

A while later, I heard shouts and gunshots coming from where everyone was digging. I stumbled to my feet, rushing towards the sounds. The only concern on my mind was not my fiance, but Thomas. I knew that he wasn't very skilled with guns and I didn't want him to get hurt. As I entered the area, I heard the men shouting to each other about savages as they fired towards the treeline. Arrows flew from the tree line, embedding themselves in the fallen logs and dirt. I looked for Thomas amongst the others but I couldn't see him.

I could see my fiance taking cover behind a barrel as the men handed him guns. Then finally, I spotted Thomas on the far end. I moved quickly through the trees, trying to avoid arrows and gunfire. Just as I arrived at Thomas's spot, a searing pain filled my arm. I heard Thomas call my name. "Ms. (Y/n)!" He laid me in the spot next to him, hiding me. Then, he continued the fight.

Soon enough, the threat retreated and the men cheered. Thomas kneeled next to me, carefully sitting me up. He grabbed his canteen of water, some spare rum, and a cloth. "I'm sorry, but this is going to hurt..." I hissed as the rum made contact with my bullet wound. The bullet had went straight through, luckily. After the burning stopped, he cleaned the wound with water and wrapped it with the cloth. "There. It should be fine now. Just don't use that arm too much."

I smiled at him. "Thank you." Then, the moment was ruined as John spoke. "Wiggins, get Ms. (L/n) to her room and check her wound." Wiggins smiled. "Yes, sir!" I knew from the look on my fiance's face that I'd be in trouble later. Once Wiggins checked my wound he left me alone. I watched everyone work from my window, sometimes catching a glimpse of Thomas.

30 minutes later, the door to my room opened. John entered the room, glaring at me. "You just don't understand, do you? Maybe this will finally get through to you." He held out a piece of parchment to me. "Our wedding will be in three days. Here, in the new world." I took the parchment, shaking my head. "No! You can't do-!" He cut me off. "I can and I am. From the moment you accepted my proposal, you became my property. So you don't have a choice."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "A-And if I refuse?" He smirked. "Well, you really can't. Not if you want your mother to live, that is." I looked away from him, holding back tears. "You're just an...inhumane beast!" I yelped as he grabbed my injured arm and threw me to the floor. He sneered as he stood over me. "Watch how you speak to me. I will not be disrespected by a pathetic woman." Then, he left the room, leaving me on the floor.

...

It had been a few hours since then and I was still in my room. I could hear John yelling in his study, so I couldn't leave. My arm was bruised from where it had been grabbed. I sat in front of the window, trying to distract myself. The events from earlier had left me shaken, but I tried not to think about it.

All I ever wanted in life was to find someone who loved me for me, someone who would accept my flaws and imperfections. I wanted to marry that person and just be happy. But I wouldn't ever get that chance.

My father died a few months before my mother fell ill. I was his only heir and child, but because I was a woman, I couldn't inherit his business. My mother had some money from her family, but the bills began to pile up.

Our manor fell into disrepair and we had to let go of all our servants. Then, it was just my mother and I. But because of my father's name and status, I had countless suitors. My mother then fell ill and that's when I started my search for a suitor who had enough money to help my mother. That's when John Ratcliffe appeared.

At first, I was skeptical. He was a governor and a man close with the king. And just like the others, he wasn't interested in me. He had his sights set on the company. I ended up accepting his proposal, but he made it clear that I wouldn't receive any money until we married. The wedding was supposed to take place in the winter, but it was barely autumn.

I picked up one of my books and flipped to the last few pages. One of my father's friends had taught me various languages and one of them was that of the natives from various places. As I had hoped, there was a small dictionary of words for the group of natives here. The words looked complicated, but I had an idea.

If I could get to the natives' home and speak with them, I may be able to get away from my fiance. On the other hand, the natives could also not understand me and kill me anyways. And I'd also be leaving Thomas behind. I really liked him, but I couldn't stay here any longer.

And so, I made up my mind. I'd leave tonight.