To A Fault (Family Madrigal x Bruno's Daughter! Reader)

Your Pov:

I sighed as I headed into the small yard behind Casita. This place formed when I got my gift. It had a small, shallow pond with a white stone border. Grass and flowers grew close around the area. I got my gift right before my father disappeared. My mother died when I was a baby, so I was raised by my father and then my aunts.

I sat in front of the pond on my knees, dipping my hand into the water. The water rippled and then fell still again. Abuela treated my gift like a treasure and the village always asked for my help. My gift was different from the others.

I could see the last memories a dead person experienced through a special seance. And I would give my insight to the one who requested the seance. Abuela believed my insights to be the absolute truth with no room for doubt. However, I knew that wasn't true. I had held many seances, but there was one person that I could not bring myself to hold one for.

My mother.

I was not ready to confront her death. She died in a house fire, leaving my father and I alone.

As I stood, I heard a voice calling me. "(Y/n), come inside. It's cold out here." I turned around. "I'm coming, Abuela." As we walked, she spoke. "Tonight, I want you to perform a seance in honor of Antonio's ceremony." I nodded. "Of course. But who's memories am I calling forward?" She sighed. "I think it's time you to face your mother's death. This is the time for our family to grow."

I looked down. "I...I see." As we reached Casita's doors, she smiled at me. "You will be fine. I know it." With that, she headed inside, leaving me alone.

...

I stood in my room, adjusting my costume. It was almost time for me to perform my seance and everyone was mumbling about it. Once I was ready, I headed to the pond. A container of salt had been left next to the pond for me. I quickly laid the salt around the pond and offered a few prayers to the soul I was going to call.

As I finished, I heard Abuela bringing all the guests over. "This way everyone. Tonight, we are holding a seance." Once everyone was seated, I turned turned to them and closed my eyes, my voice ringing around the area.

"Oh holy mother, we hold this seance in your name. Let the eyes of everyone here be clear and our ears be unstopped."

I took a deep breath and continued.

"Dance of devotion, guide this soul to me!"

I opened my eyes and approached the pond. I stepped over the salt circle and started the dance. The only sound to be heard were my footsteps and the jingling of my bells. The water in the pond started rippling.

But then, my chest started to tighten and it became hard to breath. I pushed through and finished the dance, but the pool showed nothing. Murmurs filled the air as I grabbed at my chest and panted. I heard Mirabel's voice. "(Y/n), are you alright?" I tried to speak. "I...I..." The room started to swim before my eyes. I started to sway. Then...

I fell to the ground as everything went black.

...

When I awoke, I was in my room on my bed. I heard Abuela outside the door, talking to someone. "She couldn't handle what the memories would show her. That alone shows that she lacks the proper growth." Then I heard Mirabel's voice. "Of course she couldn't handle it. She's not ready to see her mother's death. If I was in her place, I wouldn't be either."

Then, the two of them walked away. I had been changed out of my costume and put into a nightgown. I sighed as remembered what happened. I failed to conduct the seance properly and probably embarrassed the entire family.

But Mirabel was right. I wasn't ready to see what happened to my mother. That fear had only grown since my father disappeared.

And I knew that some day, I'd have to confront it.

...

In the following days, things spiralled out of control. We almost lost Casita and our gifts. But thanks to Mirabel, everything was saved. And my father finally returned home.

I now stood in front of the pond in my costume with my father next to me. He put a hand on my shoulder. "You don't have to do this, kid. It's alright." Abuela spoke from my other side. "He's right. Don't force yourself." I turned, facing them, the rest of the family, and the audience who came for the seance.

"No. I am a Madrigal. A proud medium. I am ready to face my mother's death!"

My father smiled and stepped back. "I'm proud of you. You'll do great." Abuela followed him to their seats. I took a deep breath and began the seance.

"Oh holy mother, we hold this seance in your name. Let the eyes of everyone here be clear and our ears be unstopped."

I turned towards the pond, opening my eyes as I spoke. "Dance of devotion, guide this soul to me!"

I felt the grains of salt rub against my bare feet as I moved around the pond. With each movement, I could feel the soul entering the water. The water began to ripple. As I finished the dance, my bells jingled one last time.

The pond then displayed the memories. Everyone aw'd in surprise. I watched as the inside of a burning building appeared. This was my mother's point of view.

She was in a burning building. Flames covered the windows and smoke billowed in the air. A baby's cries filled the air and my mother looked down at the baby cradled in her arms. It was...me.

Then, a new voice met my ears. A younger version of my father burst through one of the on fire doorways. My mother quickly passed me to him and though I couldn't hear the next conversation, I knew something was wrong. My father grabbed my mother's hand and started dragging her through the house. As they got to the front door, a horrific cracking sounded and the ceiling collapsed, trapping my mother underneath the rubble.

My father reached out to her with tears in his eyes as the baby's cries became louder. Then, everything stopped as my mother's eyes closed.

I turned to everyone. "With this particular seance, I will not provide my insights. This is too personal to apply an explanation."

As everyone left, I ended the seance, allowing the soul to leave. The only ones left were my father and I. He pulled me into a hug. "You were very brave just then. More than I'd ever be anyway." I smiled. "Thanks, dad. It was hard, but I've given mother some peace. So I'm happy." He nodded, looking towards the setting sun.

"And your mother's happy too, I'm sure."