Chapter 9

Delilah was surprised that she didn't really miss her brother. It sounded bad, but she liked that she had the opportunity to branch out.

Of course, she still saw him every potions lesson, and flying lessons would be starting on Thursday with Gryffindor and Slytherin.

Delilah was excited but slightly nervous. She wasn't sure if she'd like flying or not, but everyone else seemed to love it, especially Draco and Blaise. Even Goyle and Crabbe liked it.

They all complained that first years weren't allowed to play and bragged at how good they all were at it.

Finally Delilah got too annoyed with them. "Can't you guys talk about anything else? And before you boast about how good you are, shouldn't you see what happens in our first class? For all you know, you could have been doing it wrong."

All of them stared at her, she hadn't really talked in the first few weeks and they hadn't heard her snap like that. She wasn't shy, she just wasn't used to socializing and hadn't felt the need to really talk to any of them, except Draco and a few Slytherin girls.

Luckily they did stop talking about flying and instead talked about their other classes as they made their way towards flying class.

When they got there the Gryffindors weren't there yet, and neither was the teacher. They all sat down by a broom. Draco sat by her and the others all sat away from them. Odd.

"I've never seen you mad before," Draco observed.

"You still haven't."

"Then what was that?"

"I was annoyed."

Draco started laughing and Delilah couldn't help but join in.

"Question, why don't you like Harry?"

Draco's smile faded. "I just don't, I guess I am just a little... jealous," He admitted.

"Jealous that...?"

Draco made a face. "That he's so popular and has so many good friends."

Delilah took his hand and said, "Well you have one good friend, that's a start."

And at that moment Harry and the Gryffindors had to walk in.

Harry's eyes narrowed and he stormed over to them.

"What's going on?" He snapped.

"I'm talking with my friend. What's wrong with that? You don't see me snapping at you everytime you talk to Ronald, do you?" Delilah retorted.

"But he's Ron, and he's," Harry motioned at Draco, "a Slytherin!"

"So am I and you still talk to me," Delilah stated, now narrowing her eyes at Harry.

Harry couldn't find a retort so he stomped away.

The teacher, a witch with white hair and hawk-like yellow eyes named Madam Hooch, walked in.

"Well, what are you all waiting for?" she barked. "Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

Delilah glanced at her broom. It was old and some twigs stuck out at odd angles.

"Stick out your right hand over your broom," called Madam Hooch at the front, "and say 'Up!'"

"UP!" everyone shouted.

Delilah's broom jumped into her hand at once, but it was one of the few that did. Vince's just rolled and Goyle's stayed put.

Madam Hooch then showed them how to mount their brooms without sliding off the end, and walked up and down the rows correcting their grips.

True to Delilah's prediction, Draco had held it wrong his whole life.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle — three — two —"

But Longbottom, nervous and jumpy and frightened of being left on the ground, pushed off hard before the whistle had touched Madam Hooch's lips.

"Come back, boy!" she shouted, but Longbottom was rising straight up like a cork shot out of a bottle — twelve feet — twenty feet. Delilah saw his scared white face look down at the ground falling away, saw him gasp, slip sideways off the broom and —

WHAM — a thud and a nasty crack and Longbottom lay face down on the grass in a heap. His broomstick was still rising higher and higher, and started to drift lazily toward the forbidden forest and out of sight.

Madam Hooch was bending over Longbottom, her face as white as his.

"Broken wrist," Delilah heard her mutter. "Come on, boy — it's all right, up you get."

She turned to the rest of the class.

"None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch.' Come on, dear."

No sooner than she was out of earshot when the other Slytherins burst into laughter. Delilah elbowed Draco and he stopped with an apologetic grin.

"It was kinda funny," he whispered.

"Yes, but imagine if that happened to me, would you be laughing then?"

Draco's grin fell. "No."

"Exactly."

Draco's eye caught something in the grass, and he went and grabbed it.

It was a remembrall, something that told you if you forgot something which Delilah thought a little stupid, as it didn't tell you what you forgot just that you forgot something.

Harry noticed that Draco had grabbed the remembrall and stepped forward.

"Give that here, Malfoy," he said quietly. Everyone stopped talking to watch.

Draco smiled nastily.

"I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find — how about — up a tree?"

Delilah snuck up behind him as Harry yelled, "Give it here!"

Delilah was right behind Draco and she slipped the remembrall from his hand and tossed it to Harry. But her throw was a bit too high.

Harry jumped and he caught it. Just then McGonagall strode out.

"Potter! Come with me."

"Which one?" Delilah asked.

McGonagall gave a slight frown. "Mr. Potter, come with me."

Delilah gave a small satisfied smile and shrugged at Harry. He went with McGonagall.

Delilah turned to Draco, "That wasn't very nice."

"Sorry," he unapologetically said.

Delilah rolled her eyes,

"You're lucky I like you," she muttered.

During dinner Draco walked over to Harry and they talked for a minute before he returned looking satisfied.

"What did you do?" she demanded.

"Nothing you need to worry about."

"Yeah right, now what did you do?"

"I proposed a duel between me and your brother, but he declined so it's fine."

Delilah looked at him suspiciously, Harry wasn't the type of person to back down, especially from a fight.

That night she observed Draco closely, but he never left.

Satisfied, she drifted off to sleep.