Chapter 14

"Are you sure you want to come?" Draco asked. "Even though you'll probably have to meet... him?"

Delilah nodded.

"Yes. I can help you look for helpful information in your family's library. It also will help give them the full picture if I help explain the situation. Plus you already told your mother that I was coming," she pointed out for the twentieth time.

And it was her only chance to relax a bit, even if they were planning on doing research about fixing vanishing cabinets.

Draco nodded, looking resigned.

"I suppose it is for the best, but I wish one of us could be working on our project while the other was updating everyone."

She shrugged. They had been discussing their options since Mrs. Malfoy had sent him a letter inviting Delilah to come with him.

"Yeah, but either way once he finds out, he'll want to meet me to make sure I'm trustworthy."

Which means unfortunately he'd poke around in her brain. If only Snape had taught her Legilimency instead of Harry. But maybe it would be a good thing to let him poke around so he knew that she had nothing to hide. Except there was one small problem with that.

She did.

Delilah didn't want him to know how much she freaking missed Harry, even if she had gotten used to his absence over the past six years. It still hurt when they got a little closer in the summer but then ignored each other until it was time to leave Hogwarts again.

It hurt, and she wasn't sure she could keep doing it. But the few fragments of their relationship they had managed to salvage were better than the emptiness that would replace it once Harry found out she had chosen Draco over him again.

But why did he expect her to stay loyal to him when he kept hurting her again and again without even realizing it? She was tired of it. He had broken her trust, and she wasn't sure if he knew it.

"Fair enough, I suppose there really isn't another option. I just don't like the thought of you having to meet him," Draco suddenly said, snapping Delilah from her thoughts.

"Yeah, it'd just delay the inevitable."

He nodded.

"We probably should head to the chimney then. We're taking Snape's, right?"

"Yes, I have a few more things I need to pack." And a snake to find, but Delilah wasn't worried. Midnight always turned up when she needed her.

"Oh, I thought you finished last night."

"I did most of it, but there's just a few things left."

Only a half truth, but not a lie. But again, there were things she wanted to keep to herself.

So she gently kissed his cheek before heading down to her room.

She stared at the wrapped parcel, sighing. She doubted it would work, but it was worth a try.

So, she snuck up to the owlery and sent the parcel, along with the other gifts, knowing she wouldn't get a chance to send them once she reached Malfoy Manor.

As she crept into her room she grabbed her bag and Midnight's cage, where she was resting.

"Come on, let's go," Delilah said to Draco, who was waiting in the Common Room.

He stood, grabbed his trunk from beside him, and they headed out, saying goodbye to the other Slytherins, including Miguel and Nicci, who he seemed to be helping with some last minute homework.