Chapter 16

As the end of the break came nearer, Delilah and Draco started to get desperate. They went to Borgin and Burkes to see if they had any more tips about fixing the cabinet, but Borgin didn't say anything they didn't already know. To make things worse, over the entirety of the break they had only found a few vague books about how to fix it.

Of course that meant that Delilah's stress was starting to creep back up on her, getting more and more pronounced until finally, they were headed back to Hogwarts.

Apparently, the Ministry thought it was still too dangerous for the train, so they arranged a one-off connection to the Floo Network to return students quickly and safely to the school.

They were scheduled to come in right after breakfast, so Delilah packed the night before, making sure they had all their supplies.

She made sure to triple check while Narcissa said goodbye to Draco. It seemed too private for her to watch.

"Goodbye Delilah, I hope we'll be able to see you this summer," Narcissa said, giving her a rare smile.

"Thanks, I do too. It was nice to meet you."

Draco glanced at his watch.

"Alright, it's time," he said, breaking the silence. "You want to go first, Delilah?"

"Sure."

She grabbed her trunk and floo powder before clambering into the fireplace.

"Hogwarts," Delilah said, making sure to speak clearly.

The world turned green as she spun. She landed in a dark, dim office and knew it had to be Snape's.

"Don't... get ash on... the carpet," Snape drawled from behind his desk.

Delilah quickly dusted herself off, but just before she could get out, Draco appeared, causing both of them to fall to the ground, scattering ash around the office.

Snape sighed and waved his wand, causing the ash to disappear. If it was that easy to clean, why did he care if they got it on the floor?

Yet another baffling thing Delilah would never understand about Snape.

Still, she quickly apologized before heading out of the office.

"To the Common Room?" Draco asked.

She nodded.

After Delilah put her trunk away and made her way back to the Common Room, she was surprised to see a crowd gathering around the board.

She pushed her way through them until she could see the new notice. It read:

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor.

Please sign below if you would like to participate.

Cost: 12 Galleons.

Delilah put her name down before pushing her way back through the crowd.

"What's the news?" Draco asked.

"Apparition lessons sign-up sheet. If you wait, the crowd should die down in a minute."

She turned and started towards the exit.

"Where are you going?"

"I have some things I want to do before classes. I'm guessing you'll tell everyone hello then go to the RoR?"