Chapter 11

Everyone had been avoiding Delilah like the plague since Lyra's attack. People seemed convinced that she was the Heir of Slytherin, but not as much as if she had been found at the crime scene.

The most annoying thing was Peeves though. Whenever Delilah was in his view, he would start singing loudly:

"Oh, Potter, you rotter, oh what have you done,

You're killing off students, you think it's good fun —"

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of Delilah down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil witch coming through...."

Percy was deeply disapproving of this behavior.

"It is not a laughing matter," he said coldly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," said Fred. "Delilah's in a hurry."

"Yeah, she's off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with her fanged servant," said George, chortling.

Ginny didn't find it amusing either.

"Oh, don't," she wailed every time Fred asked Delilah loudly who she was planning to attack next, or when George pretended to ward Delilah off with a large clove of garlic when they met.

One time, she actually hissed at them. They both flinched and pretended to be cowering with fear.

"Oh no, Fred!" George exclaimed. "I think we made her target list!"

Delilah chuckled. "Nah, you were on it for a while now, I just moved you up a tad." She winked, leaving them laughing. At least someone thought this whole ordeal was amusing.

At last the term ended, and a silence deep as the snow on the grounds descended on the castle. Delilah found it peaceful, rather than gloomy, and enjoyed the fact that she and Draco were alone in their dormitory, with the exception of Crabbe and Goyle. That meant they could play wizard chess or Exploding Snap as loud as they wanted without bothering anyone or practice their dueling skills.

Christmas morning dawned, cold and white. Delilah woke up at the roughly same time she normally would on a weekend. The presents would still be there.

"Presents!" Draco exclaimed as he rushed over to his presents and started opening them.

Delilah laughed.

"They won't disappear," she teased as she started to open her own presents.

Daphne and Pansy had collaborated to get Delilah silver and green nail polish. Draco had gotten her a book about all the different types of snakes, both magical and non magical, while Harry gave her a book full of complicated charms.

Delilah handed Draco her gift to him. He opened it and his eyes widened. It was Quidditch Through the Ages, and had a whole section on the Bulgarian seeker, Victor Krum. While it was similar to the Quidditch book she had given Harry, it was different.

She grinned as she saw that she had gotten a Weasley sweater. Last Christmas she had seen all the Weasleys and Harry wearing one. Hers was green with a silver D on it.

She also noticed that the same person who had given her the charm bracelet had given her another charm, this one a snake.

The Dursleys had sent her a toothpick and a note telling her to see if she could stay there for the summer vacation, too.

Delilah rolled her eyes. She wished she could, but with all these attacks going on, there was no way she, or Harry, would be allowed.

There were two gifts left. She opened the closest one. It was from the person who gave her the dream dust, which she still wore along with her charm bracelet and Draco's necklace, had given her a sketchbook and colored pencils with a note that read: