Chapter 16

Over the next two weeks Delilah barely managed to get all her homework done on top of the DA meetings and her Prefect duties.

To make matters worse the first Quidditch match was approaching, so they couldn't do the DA meetings. On the other hand, Delilah was able to spend more time with Daphne since both of their boyfriends were busy with Quidditch.

Everyone seemed occupied with the forthcoming game.

The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were taking a lively interest in the outcome, for they, of course, would be playing both teams over the coming year; and the Heads of House of the competing teams, though they attempted to disguise it under a decent pretense of sportsmanship, were determined to see their side's victory. Delilah realized how much Professor McGonagall cared about it when she begrudgingly let them off of homework, which was mainly because she had let the Gryffindors off and was a fair teacher.

Snape was not. He had booked the Quidditch pitch for Slytherin practice so often that the Gryffindors must have had difficulty getting on it to play. He was also turning a deaf ear to the many reports of Slytherin attempts to hex Gryffindor players in the corridors, even when there were over fourteen eyewitnesses. Honestly... he was such a crappy teacher that could teach so much but didn't....

Draco was dealing with the pressure not by hexing the Gryffindor team, but by being rude to them. Most of the Slytherins adopted this tactic after McGonagall took fifty points from Miles Bletchley, the keeper, when he jinxed Alicia Spinnet, a Gryffindor chaser, while she was working in the library.

It only seemed to affect Ron, who apparently had never endured a relentless campaign of insults, jeers, and intimidation. So, when a group of bulky seventh years asked, "Got your bed booked in the hospital wing, Weasley?" he did not laugh, but turned a delicate shade of green. So of course, they started targeting Ron, since he was the easiest target. Even Draco did it, imitating Ron dropping a quaffle. Honestly, they all could be prats.

To make matters worse, Draco started making a song to throw Ron off his guard even more. Delilah ignored it, there was no possible way it would actually come to life. She realized how wrong she had been the night before the match.

When Delilah got back late from dinner because she was talking to Sprout about what effect different plants had on potions, Draco had convinced some of the Slytherins to start singing his song and was conducting them. He also enchanted some badges to say, "Weasley is Our King," which was the title of his song.

She tried to be mad at him, but he looked so adorable and nerdy that she couldn't. So instead Delilah started working on her homework.

"Stop, stop, stop," he ordered after a particularly bad chorus. "I know it's a new song, but it's not that hard. Pansy, you sound like a dying whale! Crabbe, you can sing lower and louder, I've heard you in the shower." Oh yes, that wasn't creepy at all. "We can do this, but we need to actually try. Now let's go again...."

That last bit would have been encouraging, if they weren't trying to sabotage the Gryffindor team. Delilah rolled her eyes and tried to ignore them.

Finally Draco decided that Pansy should conduct, since someone would need to do it while he was playing and she sounded the worst. Surprisingly they actually sounded quite nice once Pansy stopped singing.

Finally Draco told them to go to bed to rest their lungs and Delilah cornered him.

"You better not be serious about this."

Draco shrugged.

"Why not? I thought you didn't like Weasley."

"I don't, but it will distract the whole team, and you know how they feel about exploiting people's weaknesses."