Chapter 24

The exams grew closer and closer, and the fifth years' homework grew so high that Delilah had to make a study schedule so she could have some time to herself. It was nearly impossible, but she managed to give herself an extra hour during Easter Break.

The weather grew breezier, brighter, and warmer, but the fifth and seventh years couldn't enjoy it. They were trapped inside, traipsing back and forth to the library. They couldn't even study outside due to the wind.

And as though to stop them from skiving off, a bunch of pamphlets, leaflets, and notices concerning various Wizarding careers popped up around the Slytherin Dungeon to underline the importance of their upcoming examinations before the end of the holidays, along with yet another notice on the board, which read:

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the Summer term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

Delilah looked down the list and found she was scheduled Monday morning, so she'd miss most of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Wonderful, she didn't want to go anyway.

"What career looks good to you Delilah?" Daphne asked.

"I think I'd like something to do with potions or alchemy. Maybe open my own shop? I don't really know. What about you?"

Daphne shrugged.

"I don't really have to work, I'll inherit lots of money from my parents to get by, plus my uncle has no heirs and I'm his favorite so I might get his gold as well."

"Makes sense," Delilah replied, nodding. "I probably won't have to work either, I have enough from my parents, but I'll need something to do or I'll go stir crazy."

"True. Speaking of which, do you want to study together today? It's finally not windy so we could go outside, get out of the castle.

"I thought you were going to study with Theodore all week?"

Daphne groaned, looking up at the ceiling.

"He's driving me crazy. He keeps worrying about the exams and saying how they're only five weeks away. Theo doesn't seem to realize that's still over a month. I've contemplated freezing him in some ice to cool him down, but he got better after taking a calming draught from Madam Pomfrey."

Delilah laughed.

"It's probably best. You know how long it took to defrost Goyle after he kept trying to flirt with you?"

Daphne joined in.

"It was only a month, and he was able to attend classes after two weeks, he just had some... small parts that took longer to thaw."

After they stopped laughing, Delilah remembered Daphne's original question.

"I'll definitely study with you. I need to get out of this blasted castle for an evening."

The time spent outdoors helped clear Delilah's head, so no murders were committed that night. It also appeared to make Daphne feel better as Theodore was not found in a pile of ice, but she could have made it hard to find him, so no one knew for sure. Daphne neither confirmed, nor denied it.

The next morning Delilah desperately wanted to go outside again. The sky was clear, misty, opalescent blue, complimenting the blossoming trees and flowers. Alas, instead she had to go to Defense Against the Dark Arts, and instead of seeing a gorgeous landscape, she would see a hideous toad. Thankfully she only had to go to the beginning of the class.