Chapter 7

The rest of the week went by normally. Ron had broken his wand when he had flown the car, and really needed to write home for a new one, but he didn't. Draco had also gotten onto the Slytherin quidditch team and had gotten the newest broom, a Nimbus two thousand and one, from his father.

Finally it was the weekend. The quidditch team decided to head to practice after breakfast, and Draco wanted Delilah to watch, and she agreed. She had already finished her homework.

When they had gotten to the quidditch pitch, the Gryffindors were already there. Delilah went and sat down at the bottom of the pitch in the shadows.

Wood, the Gryffindor captain, headed to the ground followed by Fred, George, and Harry.

"Flint!" Wood bellowed. "This is our practice time! We got up specially! You can clear off now!"

Marcus Flint was way larger than Wood. He grinned as he replied, "Plenty of room for all of us, Wood."

The three Gryffindor chasers came over as well. That was one of the differences between the Slytherin and Gryffindor team, Gryffindor's team had girls while Slytherin's didn't.

"But I booked the field!" said Wood, positively spitting with rage. "I booked it!"

"Ah," said Flint. "But I've got a specially signed note here from Professor Snape. 'I, Professor S. Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today on the Quidditch field owing to the need to train their new Seeker.' "

"You've got a new Seeker?" said Wood, distracted. "Where?"

Draco stepped forward, smirking.

"Aren't you Lucius Malfoy's son?" said Fred, looking at Malfoy with dislike.

"Funny you should mention Draco's father," said Flint as the whole Slytherin team smiled still more broadly. "Let me show you the generous gift he's made to the Slytherin team."

The whole team held out their new Nimbus Two Thousand and One brooms.

"Very latest model. Only came out last month," said Flint carelessly, flicking a speck of dust from the end of his own. "I believe it outstrips the old Two Thousand series by a considerable amount. As for the old Cleansweeps" — he smiled nastily at Fred and George, who both had Cleansweep Fives — "sweeps the board with them."

None of the Gryffindor team could think of anything to say when Ron and Hermione crossed the gate.

"Oh, look. A field invasion," Flint sneered.

"What's happening?" Ron asked Harry. "Why aren't you playing? And what's he doing here?"

He was looking at Draco.

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," said Draco. "Everyone's just been admiring the brooms my father's bought our team."

Ron gaped at the seven broomsticks in front of him.

"Good, aren't they?" said Draco smoothly and Delilah noticed in his tone that he was about to say something rude so finally stepped in.

"Why don't the Slytherins practice on the left side of the field and the Gryffindors the right? You'll both be too busy practicing to spy on techniques or whatever and you can still practice," Delilah suggested.

Flint and Wood stared at her, surprised by the simple solution. Even Ron and Hermione stopped.

Flint looked at Wood. "That works for me if you aren't scared."

Wood glared at Flint. "In your dreams. It works for me too, we can each have one bludger and one quaffle, there's an extra one in the changing rooms, and use golf balls instead of a snitch."