Chapter 8

Filch pushed his way past Delilah and Draco, helping them see Harry, Ron, and Hermione standing in the middle of the crowd. Of course Harry had gotten involved somehow.

"What's going on here? What's going on here?" he stopped when he saw Mrs. Norris. "My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?"

Then his popping eyes fell on Harry.

"You!" he screeched. "You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll—"

Luckily before he could move towards Harry, Dumbledore appeared.

"Argus!" he walked to the crime scene and detached Mrs. Norris from the torch bracket.

He was followed by a number of other teachers.

"Come with me, Argus," he said to Filch. "You, too, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger."

Lockhart stepped forward eagerly.

"My office is nearest, Headmaster — just upstairs — please feel free—"

"Thank you, Gilderoy," said Dumbledore.

The silent crowd parted to let them pass. Lockhart, looking excited and important, hurried after Dumbledore; so did Professors McGonagall and Snape.

Delilah wanted to follow but didn't see how she could, so she followed Draco to the Slytherin common room.

"Let's head to my room, we'll have more privacy that way," Draco suggested and Delilah nodded.

They walked in and it was basically the same as Delilah's but was more decorated.

On the walls were pictures of the Bulgarian quidditch team and a Wizarding band she didn't recognize.

"I'm pretty sure that the voice is a snake," Draco announced and Delilah nodded, it was the only thing that made sense.

"Mrs. Norris wasn't dead, she was just petrified. You could tell by the way she was stiff. I can go to the library later to see what types of snakes can petrify people."

Draco nodded. "That works, do you have any ideas who it could be?"

Delilah shook her head. She hadn't really noticed anyone acting weird. Except for... but no. She was a Gryffindor and wouldn't hurt a fly.

"Why does the Chamber of Secrets sound so familiar? Like I've read it somewhere," Delilah asked.

"Isn't it in Hogwarts: A History?"

"Of course! Do you have it?"

He nodded. "I barely could fit it in with all the boring Lockhart books."

He walked to his trunk and pulled it out.

They huddled over it and found the chapter labeled Legends and Myths.

It read:

Hogwarts has four founders, Salazar Slytherin, Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Helga Hufflepuff.

They all got along well until Slytherin wanted to be more selective of their students.

They fought over it and Slytherin left the school.

Legend has it that he left behind 'The Chamber of Secrets'. It is said to hold a monster that he alone would be able to control in hopes that one day his descendants would purge the school of all those he deemed 'unworthy'.

When they were done reading they were both surprised.

"I didn't realize that he started all of that blood purity nonsense."