Chapter 10

Before Delilah knew it, it was already the first Hogsmeade trip. The morning of the trip, she had decided to stay and help Draco, but Daphne and Lyra were saying otherwise.

"Nope, you're coming," Lyra said, dragging her towards the line Filch was checking students for dark artifacts.

"But I don't have my jacket or mittens."

Daphne pulled Delilah's jacket and mittens out of her bag as she said, "Good thing I came prepared."

"I'm not getting out of this, am I?"

"Nope!" Daphne and Lyra chorused.

Delilah rolled her eyes but let them drag her over to Filch. She wouldn't admit it, but she was glad for the break. Merlin knew she needed it.

The line moved smoothly, stalling only when Ron asked why it mattered if they were smuggling dark stuff out. Delilah rather agreed with him, but didn't say anything to avoid the extra jabs with Filch's Secrecy Sensor, and she was on her way to Hogsmeade with her two best friends.

"Ugh, it's freezing," Daphne complained.

Lyra nodded and said, "Yeah, do you guys want to go to the Three Broomsticks first?"

"Actually I know a great café, but it closes early. Could we go there first? It has wonderful hot chocolate and french toast."

They agreed, and headed to the café.

"This is delicious," Lyra declared after taking a bite of her french toast.

Daphne nodded, too focused on savoring the food to say anything.

"Try dipping it into the hot chocolate," said Delilah.

They did as she suggested and Lyra gasped.

"Why did you keep this place from us? I thought we were your friends! Think, we could have been enjoying this for years."

"I only found out about it last year, and there hasn't really been time since then to show you."

Lyra sniffed, looking away as she drank the last bit of her hot chocolate.

Delilah chuckled, her smile fading as she looked at her empty plate. She'd have to come here again during their next trip, if there was going to be another one. Conditions outside of Hogwarts were steadily getting worse, but hopefully that wouldn't stop Hogsmeade trips. Then again, nothing short of murder would make Dumbledore cancel anything, so they probably would be fine.

After they all sadly finished their breakfast, they headed to Enchanted Forest to see if there were any interesting magical items.

Lyra found a book that answered most questions you wrote in it, but Delilah convinced her not to buy it, reminding her how a book similar to that caused the whole fiasco in their second year.

"Right, I don't want to go through that again. My parents tried to send me to Beauxbatons again afterwards."

"I'm glad you talked them out of it," Daphne replied as they shared a smile.

Sometimes Delilah wondered if there was something more going between Daphne and Lyra, but she hadn't found enough proof to ask them.

They continued roaming the store. Delilah left them for a bit to see if she could get some evidence while looking for Christmas presents. It was never too early, especially since she wasn't sure when the next trip would be.

She managed to find a cool box that turned objects invisible for Harry, since the invisibility cloak could only cover so much, a book on self-care for Draco, and some makeup that did itself for Daphne. She even managed to slip in an enchanted book that suggested books to read based on what it sensed the reader needed for Lyra, insisting it was for herself, though Delilah didn't think she bought it.