Chapter 12

Christmas was on its way, brightening everyone's spirit. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid, and a few daring students ice skated on it. Delilah didn't, she never had learned how to skate, but it was entertaining to watch.

The cold, despite making Delilah more cheerful, did have its downsides. The few owls that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again, making it so that less and less owls were being sent, cutting off Draco's supply of sweets from his parents. Delilah wouldn't have cared, but he usually shared them with her.

Still, no one could wait for the holidays to start. While the Slytherin common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the drafty corridors had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classrooms. Worst of all were Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons. While Delilah loved potions, the room was freezing and their breath rose in a mist before her and so she kept as close as possible to their hot cauldrons. It made everyone even more eager than normal for the holidays to start

The main reason that Delilah was excited for the holidays to start, however, was because she didn't have to go back to Privet Drive. Professor Snape had come around the week before, making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays, and Delilah had signed up at once. She didn't feel sorry for herself at all; this would probably be the best Christmas she'd ever had because while most of her friends were going, Daphne and Draco were staying. Daphne because she didn't want to spend time with Astoria, her little sister. Draco didn't say why he was staying, but Delilah wasn't going to complain, even if he could get obnoxious.

When Delilah and Draco left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they had found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a loud puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Weasley (Delilah still refused to call him Ronald, even after the troll incident, she just didn't like him) asked.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Delilah politely asked.

"Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose — that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

"Draco!" Delilah may not like Weasley but that was very rude.

Ron dove at Draco just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Draco's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Draco pushed roughly past the tree and Delilah followed closely behind him.

"Draco, that was rude," chastised Delilah as soon as they were out of earshot.

"What? He's an idiot and deserves it."

"Yes, but in front of everyone? That's just stupid."

Draco actually laughed at that.

"So you're mad at me for doing it in public, and not because it was rude?"

"Well, you still shouldn't have said it, even if it is true, because how would you like it if someone started insulting your family? If you insult anyone it should be about them, not their family. People can't control their family, but they can control themselves so it would be more insulting if you said something along the lines that even if Hagrid had needed help then Ron wouldn't be strong enough to help, or that a scrawny git like him would get squashed before he could help," she pointed out.