Chapter 18

"We need help," Draco finally said.

"Yes, but there's no one really we can ask. Slughorn didn't react well when I tried to ask him. He mentioned something about Harry and stormed off."

"Well... we could ask Crabbe and Goyle."

"Them? I don't trust them. They only know how to be cruel."

"Well, we don't have to tell them. All we need to have them do is watch the entrance and let us know if anyone is poking around. Harry obviously suspects me."

Delilah frowned. While he was making sense, she still didn't trust Crabbe or Goyle.

"If that's what you think is best, alright. Just make sure you don't tell them why you want them to be a lookout. I think I'll ask them at the first apparition lesson. It's this Saturday, right?"

"Yeah."

"I hope the weather improves," Draco casually mentioned. "I don't want to be apparating outside with all this rain."

"I think it will be inside either way so there won't be as many distractions."

"I hope you're right."

Sadly the weather didn't improve. In fact, it seemed even more windy and rainy. Thankfully they had announced that the lessons would be taking place in the Great Hall.

When Delilah and Draco arrived in the Hall (Delilah had left Midnight behind for her safety) they found that the tables had disappeared. Rain lashed against the high windows and the enchanted ceiling swirled darkly above them as they assembled in front of Professors McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, and Sprout, and the small Apparition Instructor from the Ministry. He was oddly colourless, with transparent eyelashes, wisp hair and an insubstantial air, as though a single gust of wind might blow him away. Apparently the constant disappearances and reappearances had somehow diminished his substance, as no one could have survived being born with such a frail build.

"I'm going to go talk to Crabbe and Goyle," Draco murmured as they entered the Hall.

It seemed that they were the last ones, because just as he left, the Heads of House called for quiet and the Ministry wizard took a step forward so he was in front of the teachers.

"Good morning," said the Ministry wizard, when all the students had arrived and the Heads of House had called for quiet. "My name is Wilkie Twycross and I shall be your MInistry Apparition Instructor for the next twelve weeks. I hope to be able to prepare you for your Apparition test in this time —"

But he got no further. "Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" barked McGonagall.

Delilah turned and saw that Draco had flushed a dull pink; he looked furious as he stepped away from Crabbe. Apparently convincing them hadn't been easy, as it appeared they were in the middle of a whispered argument.

"– by which time, many of you may be ready to take your test," Twycross continued, as though there had been no interruption.

"As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The Headmaster has lifted this enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasize that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try.

"I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear five feet of space in front of you."

There was a great scrambling and jostling as people separated, banged into each other, and ordered others out of their space.

The Heads of House moved among the students, marshalling them into position and breaking up arguments.

Delilah used the distraction to slip over to where Lyra and Daphne were standing and politely asked the Hufflepuff besides them to move over.