Chapter 6

The next morning Delilah saw Harry at the Gryffindor table and stormed over.

"Harry. James. Potter," she said dangerously in his ear, making him flinch and turning to her with a look of fear on his face. "Why on earth did you fly the car? Why not wait for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and have them help you? Or send an owl? Do you have no common sense?"

Harry looked down, shamefaced.

"Sorry, I didn't think."

"That much is obvious, what punishment did you get?" Delilah let her voice soften, just a little.

"Just detention."

"Just detention for breaking the statute of secrecy? Just one detention? How'd you get McGonagall to go easy on you? I thought you'd be expelled for sure!"

"Me too, I guess we just got lucky."

"Hmph," Delilah turned around and headed back to the Slytherin table. She was mad at Harry. He needed to learn how to think things through instead of endangering not just his life, but his friend's as well.

As she sat down and started eating, the mail came. A hundred or so owls streamed in, circling the hall and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd. Delilah's attention caught onto an owl that looked strangely familiar that was carrying a scarlet envelope that dropped down straight at Ron.

Ron opened it and Mrs. Weasley's voice screamed ten times louder than normal.

"STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE—

"— LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD BOTH HAVE DIED—"

Delilah had been wondering when Harry would be mentioned. Harry and Ron both slouched and tried to avoid notice.

"-ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME!" Mrs. Weasley's voice softened. "Oh, and Ginny dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor, your father and I are so proud."

A ringing silence fell, and on the other side of the Gryffindor table Ginny was a bright red.

Delilah grinned. They totally deserved it. Well, Ron and Harry did. Ginny didn't, it was very embarrassing and unnecessary. Just send another letter, it's not that hard.

Delilah left with Draco for their first class, transfiguration. They were supposed to be turning a beetle into a button, and after about fifteen minutes Delilah managed to do it. The hardest part was to make sure the spell actually hit the beetle.

After that they headed to herbology. On the way Delilah noticed that the Whomping Willow was all bandaged up and Professor Sprout, one of the nicest teachers, seemed to be in a bad mood.

All the Slytherins and Ravenclaws walked into the class and Delilah noticed earmuffs, some blue, others bright pink. She purposefully moved a blue pair close to her and sat by Lyra.

"We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Professor Sprout asked.

Most of the Ravenclaws' hands, including Lyra, flew into the air. Professor Sprout called Lyra.

"Mandrake, also known as Mandragora, is a powerful restorative. It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state."