Chapter 21

With so much to do and worry about — startling amounts of homework that frequently kept the fifth years working until past midnight, D.A. meetings, and prefect duties — January seemed to be passing alarmingly fast. Before Delilah knew it, February had arrived, bringing with it wetter and warmer weather and the prospect of the second Hogsmeade visit of the year. Delilah was excited for the break, and more time with Draco. Recently there wasn't time to do anything other than homework.

The morning of the fourteenth Delilah got dressed into warm, durable clothes.

Then Daphne came in, quietly closing the door behind her.

"Have you gone outside yet?" she asked.

"No, why? I was just about to."

Daphne looked Delilah's outfit up and down then shook her head.

"You need to wear something nicer," she decided. "How about this top instead? It's cute."

"I'll freeze," Delilah stated.

Daphne frowned.

"True, how about this sweater? Cute and warm. You could wear these jeans with some brown boots you could borrow from me. I'll go grab some of them, you can choose which pair."

"No more than three," she called after her.

While Daphne grabbed the shoes, Delilah changed into the outfit she had suggested.

"Ooo, that does look cute."

Delilah flinched.

"How do you walk so quietly?"

"Practice. Here are the boots, which pair do you like?"

She motioned at the five pairs she had grabbed. She had shown great restraint. Delilah had expected ten.

She grabbed the pair that looked the sturdiest. Surprisingly they were still quite cute, with a floral design weaving around them.

Daphne clapped excitedly.

"Great, now it's time for makeup!"

Delilah groaned.

"Don't do too much, he needs to be able to recognize me."

Daphne grinned evilly.

"You know what, I think I'm fine without makeup, I'll just go now." Daphne grabbed her before she could leave.

"Nope, and now you are getting your hair done as well."

Great.

The next half an hour was spent with cold makeup being layered on her face and her hair being pulled in every direction. Daphne only stopped when Delilah's stomach wouldn't stop protesting.

"Are you and Draco meeting at breakfast?"

Delilah started to respond but paused.

"I don't think he said actually, but I know we're having breakfast at the village."

Daphne grinned, her eyes lighting up.

"That's great. Here, I grabbed some snacks while I got the boots. You can have them."

"Are you sure? I was going to grab some toast and eat it before meeting with him."

"Yeah, you'll need them more than I do. Trust me."

Delilah looked at her suspiciously.

"What do you know that I don't?"

"You'll see," she replied, grinning. "I'm going to put my shoes back. I'll grab those back tomorrow."