Chapter 26

As June got closer, the Gryffindors excitement changed into nerves as O.W.L.s came upon them at last. All they wanted to do was go on the beautiful, warm grounds, but they couldn't. They were stuck inside, studying.

The teachers found a way to help by reviewing everything that might be on their exams and assigning no homework, but that didn't mean the fifth years had time to enjoy the good weather.

Instead they were studying, A LOT. It was necessary, but obnoxious. Delilah managed to get a few breaks practicing spells with Daphne. It was sad that those were now considered breaks.

It was hard sneaking off, especially since she didn't want any of the Inquisitorial Squad (which was going through a growth spurt) to snitch to Umbridge.

But the hardest part was the stress. Everyone acted and coped differently. Some were more blunt, and others were nervous wrecks. Draco wasn't helping those who were scared.

"Of course, it's not what you know, it's who you know," Draco told Crabbe and Goyle. He had been spending more time around them and it was showing. "Now, Father's been friendly with the head of the Wizarding Examinations Authority for years — old Griselda Marchbanks — we've had her round for dinner and everything...."

Delilah wasn't sure if he was telling the truth. She was sure, however, that the examiners would do their best to be unbiased, unlike Dumbledore.

Meanwhile a flourishing black-market trade in aids to concentration, mental agility, and wakefulness had sprung up among the fifth and seventh years. It would have been helpful, if any of it actually worked. Delilah teamed up with Hermione to stop all the contraband that was popping up.

She stopped Harold Dingle from selling some powdered dragon claw to Neville Longbottom. Afterwards she told him that it really was dried doxy droppings, and if he was really nervous about the potions exam, she'd be willing to help. He said he'd think about it, but Delilah was sure he was still too scared of her. Sure enough he didn't get back to her.

Later that week they received their examination schedules and details of the procedure for O.W.L.s during Transfiguration.

"As you can see," Professor McGonagall told the class while they copied down the dates and times of their exams from the blackboard, "your O.W.L.s are spread over two successive weeks. You will sit the theory exams in the mornings and the practice in the afternoons. Your practical Astronomy examination will, of course, take place at night.

"Now, I must warn you that the most stringent Anti-Cheating Charms have been applied to your examination papers. Auto-Answer Quills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs, and Self-Correcting Ink. Every year, I am afraid to say, seems to harbor at least one student who thinks that he or she can get around the Wizarding Examinations Authority's rules. You will get caught. There are even more security measures now because of our new — headmistress" — Professor McGonagall pronounced the word with the same look on her face that Aunt Petunia had whenever she was contemplating a particularly stubborn bit of dirt — "She has asked the Heads of House to tell their students that cheating will be punished most severely — because, of course, your examination results will reflect upon the headmistress's new regime at the school."

Professor McGonagall gave a tiny sigh. Delilah saw the nostrils of her sharp nose flare.

"However, that is no reason not to do your very best. You have your own futures to think about."

"Professor," said Daphne, her hand in the air, "when will we find out our results?"

"An owl will be sent to you some time in July," said Professor McGonagall.