Chapter 6

When Delilah entered the Great Hall, she saw Draco entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. She went and sat a decent way away from him. She quickly started eating, trying to ignore her best friend making fun of her brother. She'd tell him to shut up about it later.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered. As they walked past, Draco did a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit and there was a roar of laughter.

"Hey, Potter!" Blaise hollered. "Potter! The dementors are coming, Potter! Wooooo!"

Harry sat down at the Gryffindor table, next to George so Delilah stopped paying attention.

"Potter, new third-year schedules are that pile there," Flint stated while pointing to the pile nearest her.

Delilah grabbed hers. To her delight, she was starting some new subjects today. Her first subject was Alchemy. She finished eating and walked over to Draco. She nudged him and pointed to the time. They only had a few minutes to get down to the potion room, and no one, not even a Slytherin, wanted to risk being late on the first day of Snape's class.

"Dang, already? Ok, let's go." Draco grabbed his bag from next to him, and they started walking to Alchemy.

"Can you lay off on my brother?" Delilah asked, Draco looked surprised.

"Why?" he asked.

"Well, he's my brother. He may be an idiot, but he has gone through some crappy stuff, first with seeing our parents die, not that he remembers it, but the dementors easily could make him remember it. That is a faint-worthy memory. Don't you agree?"

Draco mumbled his agreement as they opened the door and chose a table in the middle of the room.

By the time the bell rang, there were only about 10 people left, and they were only Ravenclaws and Slytherins. That was usually normal, but since there was only one alchemy class over all, Snape had to approve who got in, and they had to have an overall 'O' in the class for all their years at Hogwarts. Needless, it was a pain to get into.

Snape entered the classroom just after the bell. His robes billowed behind him like a bat.

Naturally, he started off with a rant. Just like their first potion's class.

"I expect that most of you will not be skilled enough to continue this class next year." Yep, blunt as always. Honestly, he was so blunt that it was kind of funny.

"Some of you may even leave at midterm. This is not a class for horseplay or messing around." The class, as usual, was silent. Some Ravenclaws looked like they were up to the challenge while some looked nervous. Most Slytherins looked like they thought he was exaggerating, but Snape didn't exaggerate.

"For the first term we will be going over the theory and then lab safety. If you prove too immature for this class, we will just go over theory and not do any of the labs," he threatened. Not that he needed to, almost everyone, even the Slytherins, respected and feared Snape.

"Open to chapter one." Everyone quickly got their copy of Beginners Guide to Alchemy out. "Read through it and write a foot and a half about the dangers of Alchemy and how to avoid them. The answers are in the first two chapters. Your homework is to finish it, you may start now."

The first chapter was all about the dangers and risks of Alchemy, the second the ways to avoid them. Draco seemed bored reading, but Delilah found the idea fascinating. She finished the essay by the end of class and had started reading the next chapter about why Alchemy would be helpful. The bell rang and they all hurried to pack up.

"That was positively boring," Draco complained as they made their way to Charms.

"The first two were dull, but necessary. The third is more realistic. It's about why Alchemy is useful and is much more interesting," Delilah informed him. He faked a yawn.