Chapter 11

To Delilah's disappointment and relief, the cabinet didn't make any improvements over the next few days, but it didn't become worse either. It still could transport inanimate objects safely, but anything alive died.

"So, what are we planning to do when it's fixed?" Delilah asked one evening when they were working on it. She had just realized she didn't know what Draco planned to do.

He sighed.

"Some Death Eaters are coming as backup and distractions, so it'll just be me and Dumbledore."

"And me," Delilah added, staring him down.

He opened his mouth to argue, but stopped. By now he must know that she was stubborn.

"If you do, people will know you helped the Dark Lord."

Delilah sighed.

"I know, but... I can't stand by, knowing you're in danger. Plus, maybe I can help you afterwards too."

And she wasn't sure if he'd actually kill Dumbledore. She just couldn't see him actually doing it, and Dumbledore would probably offer to help him and hide his parents. It seemed like something he'd do, and knowing Draco he'd probably accept. She could tell he didn't want to do it.

Draco searched her expression.

"Just be prepared, ok? I know Harry will end up finding out and I don't want him to hate you for helping me."

She smiled sadly.

"I know, just know whatever happens I'll stand by you."

"Thanks, we'll see if it actually ends up working though."

"It will," Delilah said, sounding more confident than she felt. "We just need to find the right charms. It may take a while, but we'll manage."

He weakly smiled, pulling her into a hug.

"I'm glad you're here."

"Me too."

They stared at each other. Delilah hesitated. She didn't want to bring the mood down, but he should know.

"Speaking of Harry, on Sunday he wants to talk with me and walk around the lake."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"

Sighing, she said, "I know it's not, but I want to enjoy spending time with him before, well, you know."

"Ok, if you're sure. Do you want to head to the common room? I think we could both use a break from everything."

She nodded, knowing her homework wouldn't let her relax.

Sure enough, when they got to the Common Room they sat down and started their homework.

Delilah groaned, leaning against Draco.

"Why do we have to do this?" she complained.

"So we can do what we want after school," Daphne responded.

"My parents are rich enough, I won't have to work," Draco murmured so only Delilah could hear.

She snorted.

"Nah, you'd get too bored."

"How do you know?"

She grinned, lightly nudging him.

"I've met you."

He chuckled, and begrudgingly they went back to work.

The rest of the week seemed to drag on. It wouldn't end, until, suddenly, it did.