Grief

5th June 2029...(Scarlett's POV)

It's been 6 months since Y/N died, and I couldn't say what happened in that time. It's been a blur, a totally horrible, silent blur. Nobody says anything anymore, nobody knows what to say.

Me: Cosmo, you ready to go?
Cosmo: Yeah, coming!

He runs down the stairs at a million miles an hour, almost falling on the last one.

Me: You'll cause yourself harm, you know that?
Cosmo: Nah, I've been practicing my stunts.
Me: Like Mom?
Cosmo: Like Mom.
Me: Guys, let's go please!

Rose and Jessica slowly make their way down and head out to the car without saying a word, it's been like this for months.

I sigh and grab my phone and car keys, before making my way out to the car, Y/N's Cullinan, the red one that the kids love.

I eventually arrive at the graveyard, parking up and wandering up to my wife's grave. I kneel down and place my hand on the grass in front of the stone.

Me: I miss you.
Cosmo: I miss you, Mom.
Rose: Why do we have to be here anyway? I have stuff to do, I told my friend I'd be at her house in 10 minutes.
Me: Unacceptable, absolutely not.
Rose: But Mom...
Me: No. It would've been your Mom's birthday. You're not going out today. I'm not arguing with you here, not now.

Rose huffs and turns to Jess, who stays put, but Rose just walks back to the car.

Cosmo: What's her deal? Mom's been gone for just 6 months and she's acting like she never existed.
Me: Maybe she's just learning to process in her own way, sweetie. I know Mom wouldn't have wanted her to be like that though.
Jessica: She won't talk to anyone about her. People in class keep asking her but she just walks away.
Me: That's what I was afraid would happen. Could you maybe try and talk to her? Get her to see that Y/N wouldn't have wanted her to close herself off?

Jess nods, then head back towards Rose as Cosmo comes in for a hug.

Cosmo: You think she'd be upset at Rose?
Me: I don't think she'd be upset at Rose. I think she'd be upset at herself for letting Rose feel how she's feeling.
Cosmo: Yeah, you're right. She'd be annoyed at herself.
Me: How're you anyway? You doing okay?
Cosmo: Yeah, Mom wouldn't want me to be upset. So, good days and bad ones I suppose. What about you?
Me: Good days and bad days, buddy.

The truth is, I only have bad days. Since Y/N died, I can't sleep, I can't laugh at jokes, I can't get through a day without crying. The kids can't see me like that, not when they're all over the place too. It's been hard, really hard. Harder than I thought it would be.

Me: Go on, go and find your sisters while I tidy up here.

He runs off as I bend down again, tidying the grave a little.