It's Me Or The Kids

Late November 2029...(Y/N's POV)

Me: Just there mate, cheers.

The delivery guys plant the studio gear near the basement ready for me to start revamping it into a new recording studio, after Ollie basically confirmed we wouldn't be leaving for a while.

James had been brought in for questioning more than once by now with the help of Interpol and the CIA, but he would refuse to do much as mutter anything to them.

I pull across the new hardwood flooring to go down on top of the underfloor heating pipes that had been installed the day before, just as the door opens.

Me: I'm gonna start on the floor babe, might take a while! If you're heading to the kitchen though I'd love a coffee.
???: That was a while ago, little throwback there.

I turn around just in time to see Hailee standing with Reef, her son, piling towards me for a hug. He jumps on me and squeezes around my shoulders.

Me: When did you get so big?!

Reef shrugs and jumps down to look at the guitar, just as Cosmo enters too.

Cosmo: Mom? Reef and Auntie Hailee are here...oh.
Me: Got that, thanks. You need something?
Cosmo: Can I help?
Me: Um, sure. Floorboards are heavy so no lifting, but you can start by putting on some of those gloves on over there and the mallet too.

Hailee slowly makes her way over, looking almost as if she's seen a ghost.

Me: Hi.
Hailee: Hi.
Me: I'm really sorry for lying, this whole thing is mental.
Hailee: You sound like...
Me: Me before LA, yeah I know.
Hailee: And you look great by the way.
Me: You're stalling, get over here.

I pull her into a tight hug as she squeezes me just as tight as Reef.

Hailee: It's really you.
Me: Yup, it's really me. I hope you're okay with that because um, I'm kinda not going anywhere anymore. No more running.
Hailee: I think I know a couple of people who would be more than okay with it.

The basement door goes again, and LG and Flo pop their heads around, them too looking like they've seen a ghost.

Me: Did they know? Before today?
Hailee: No, so just take it easy, okay?
Me: I thought Ollie told them?
Hailee: He only told me.

There's an awkward silence as Florence and LG slowly walk over, now standing directly in front of me.

Me: Um, I know this is all a little...

Bam. There it is, the slap I was expecting from Flo. I grab my cheek and turn away, walking back to where the floorboards were placed.

Me: Okay. Probably deserved that. I thought you said she'd be happy to see me?!
Hailee: I thought she would be!
Me: You got anything smart to add, LG, or you just gonna stare at me as well?
Hailee: Y/N, what did I just say?
Florence: You knew?

Hailee looks down and stuffs her hands in her pockets.

Florence: You knew this whole time and said nothing?!
Reef: Mommy, why are you shouting?

Flo looks back at Reef with guilt, not seeing that he'd joined the conversation with Cosmo. She crouches down to his level as he cuddles in.

Florence: I'm not shouting sweetheart, everything's okay.
Hailee: I don't think you realise how serious all of this is. I couldn't tell you.
Reef: I'm so glad Auntie Y/N is here again, we can play later, can't we?