We Don't Understand Each Other Yet

Scarlett's POV...

Me: Y/N!

She stays under the water while completing her laps, turning around and heading back the other way as I follow her from end to end in the pool, shouting every time she comes up for air. Even though she's just come from the shower, there's something about water that makes her calm.

Me: Can you just sto...

Again, she goes back under the water and back up again.

Me: Stop for one...second and...listen to me...please...stop ignoring me...I know you...can hear me...you know what...you're so...stubborn...screw this.

I go to walk away.

Y/N: Sorry, were you talking?

She rests against the end of the pool with her arms over the side, taking her goggles off and having a sip of her water.

Me: You heard me.
Y/N: Something about being stubborn but the rest of it I didn't hear. If you've come to argue then I'll just carry on my workout, thanks.

She goes to place her goggles back on, but I grab them and throw them away.

Y/N: Nice throw. Are you happy now?
Me: You infuriate me, you drive me crazy, you're so fucking annoying, you're a pain in my ass, you make me feel like the biggest psycho on the planet. But I'm here because I want to figure you out. So I guess I have to put up with you.
Y/N: So why throw my goggles away?
Me: I needed to get your attention.

I roll up my jeans and sit on the side of the pool, dropping my feet in.

Y/N: Cosmo give you a pep talk?
Me: How did you know?
Y/N: You wouldn't have come so soon if he didn't force you.
Me: I just...I don't understand you, I don't think we understand each other anymore.
Y/N: Then ask.
Me: What?
Y/N: What don't you understand about me? Because I understand you just fine. You won't forgive me because you're scared of me, that much is clear. The fear is the hardest thing to get out of someone, so I'm not expecting that to ever change. I get it.
Me: Okay, um...I understand the situation. I understand why you had to leave. I understand why you did what you did and I don't blame you for that. I just don't understand you anymore. You're not the Y/N you were even 9 months ago and I don't think this version of you is someone that I get along with.

Her face drops and her eyes fill up. It's the first time I've seen anything real from her since I saw her again.

Y/N: Then who do you need me to be?
Me: That's just it. If this is you now, then the me now won't work with you. We're not compatible like this.
Y/N: Since when has compatibility come into it? It's not an online dating quiz.
Me: You really are a dumb ass, like really stupid. What do you say if someone's dumb? Thick?
Y/N: Yeah, thick as fuck.
Me: Then you're thick as fuck.
Y/N: Then I'm sorry that I can't be who you need me to be.

She goes to swim away, but I grab her arm and pull her so that her hands are placed either side of my legs.

Me: That's just it.
Y/N: What's just it? Scarlett, I can't be bothered with going backwards and forwards with you anymore.
Me: I'm trying to say that you're not that problem. It's me, I'm the problem.
Y/N: That sounds like that Taylor Swift song. You know...

She starts swaying around in the water.

Y/N: "It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me!"
Me: Y/N...
Y/N: I'm kidding.
Me: Asshole.
Y/N: Yep. Anyway, while you figure out why you're the problem in your mind, I'll keep doing my laps.