Puppet Strings

Early February 2031...(Y/N's POV)

Jessica: "Are you nearly home?"
Me: "You guys have called 6 times already."
Jessica: "I'm just asking! You need to stay on the plane when it lands so it can refuel."
Me: "What? Why?"
Jessica: "You'll see when it happens."
Me: "What did you do?"
Jessica: "I didn't do anything. Stop asking questions, you'll see.
Me: "Is this Scarlett's doing because I have no clothes with me right now."
Jessica: "I'm not telling you anything. Also, me and Rose raided your closet after packing you a new bag. See you later!"
Me: "You did what?! Hello? Jess!"

I pull the phone from my ear to see that she'd hung up.

Forrester: You know, my daughter is 11 and she already has that attitude. It's crazy.
Me: Oh, good luck when she's 17 then.
Forrester: I'm gonna need it. So I've been told that the plane's up in the air like an hour after we land. Just you staying on the plane, I'm going back to my wife.

I narrow my eyes at him as he smirks into his coffee.

Me: You know something.
Forrester: I know nothing, Jon Snow.
Me: It's not 'I know nothing Jon Snow', it's 'you know nothing Jon Snow.' Ygritte says it to Jon, not the other way around.
Forrester: Exactly, and I still know nothing.
Me: Did you even watch Game of Thrones? It feels like you didn't.
Forrester: Do I look like the kind of guy that would be interested in Game of Thrones?
Me: What does a guy that's interested in Game of Thrones look like?
Forrester: Absolutely not me.

The plane lands soon after ending that ridiculous conversation and I stay put as Forrester leaves, leaving me alone.

Scarlett's POV...

Forrester: "Yeah, she's on the plane. Should be up in the air pretty soon."
Me: "Thanks Forrester. And thank you for loaning me her for the weekend."
Forrester: "I just drive her places. And besides, it gives me a few days off with my kid. See you later, enjoy yourself."

I hang up the phone as the car pulls up to the plane. I jump out of the car and throw my backpack on my back, stepping up the steps onto the plane and turning to my right, to see Y/N with her feet up scrolling what looks like social media on her phone.

Me: Hi.

She looks up in shock that her silence has been broken.

Y/N: Um, hi?
Me: Mind if I join you?
Y/N: I'd say yes but I don't actually know why I'm still on the plane.
Me: That was me, I was joining you anyway. We're going to LA for a few days.

Her face drops. I'd planned for this reaction.

Y/N: It's my weekend with the kids though.
Me: You can have them in the week, I already sorted it with them.
Y/N: So why are we going to LA? Do you have an appearance or something?
Me: No, no work. We're just going to LA.

She rolls her eyes and groans like an annoyed teenager.

Y/N: I hate LA.
Me: I know. But I have a plan, you're gonna love it.

She mumbles into her hoodie as she pulls up the hood and slouches a little more into the chair.

Y/N: It's LA, can't love it if it's LA.

Y/N locks her phone and places it beside her, looking up at me expectedly.

Me: Are you sitting down or you just gonna hover in the corridor for the whole flight?