Ryan

October 2029...(Y/N's POV)

Kennedy: Come on Ryan, you've been here for a month without saying a word. You're not gonna give me something?
Ryan: You know, you look just like an old friend of mine. Strange, don't you think?
Kennedy: That would be my twin sister. I know who you are Ryan, you need no introduction, trust me.
Ryan: Well then, I'm sorry for your loss. You must be devastated.
Kennedy: Heartbroken.

The monotone voice does nothing to hide the sheer sarcasm coming from Kennedy, but he's not breaking, not at all.

Kennedy: What if I told you she wasn't dead?
Ryan: I'd say that's a really low interrogation tactic even on your part.
Me: Is it?

I bring myself around to face him so he can see me, the look on his face is priceless.

Me: As you can see, old friend, I'm very much alive.
Ryan: Nice, so there's 3 of you. Good joke.
Kennedy: It's no joke. There's only 2 of us.
Me: I'm a little upset that you think I'm not me actually.
Ryan: Prove it. Tell me something no one else knows.
Me: You were the first familiar face I saw when I came out of rehab the first time back when I was 16. You asked me to pay my tab, knowing that my girlfriend had already paid it for me. You tried to trick me, and then the next time I saw you, you gave me a bag of pills at that rooftop bar. It almost made me a divorcee, so no thank you for that.
Ryan: It really is you.
Me: It really is me. So are you gonna talk to your old buddy, or no?
Ryan: I don't know anything.

I pull a chair up and sit opposite, close enough that my knees could touch his.

Me: So who was your contact? Who asked you to follow me and work out my routine?
Ryan: They'll kill me, Y/N. You know I can't.
Kennedy: We can guarantee your protection.
Ryan: Heard that one before.
Kennedy: Listen asshole, the NSA don't just hand out fresh starts to anyone, okay? You'd usually be lucky to be leaving this room with all of your digits still on your hand. I'm offering you a chance to get out. Take it while you can.

I snigger at Kennedy's strongly worded warning.

Me: Are you always so deadpan about chopping people's fingers off?
Kennedy: Yes.
Me: Again with the deadpan.
Kennedy: We all want to fucking go home, Y/N. This isn't just for you, so the sooner he spills, the sooner we can all leave.

He contemplates for a few minutes, constantly looking between me and the floor, before finally opening his mouth.

Ryan: I only know a couple of things. Everything else is above my pay grade.
Me: Anything, Ryan. I just want to go back to my family safely.
Ryan: You tell me one thing first. If I hadn't have gotten you onto sniff and molly, would you have stayed friends with me?
Me: Why is that even relevant?
Ryan: Believe it or not, you were the only friend I had that didn't judge me for anything. You were the only person I had. And when you left, so did Alissa. She found a new dealer.
Me: We wouldn't have stayed in contact. I needed out. Alissa made her bed and lay in it when she slept with Hailee. I was gonna kill myself the way I was going. Your job choices didn't exactly help with fixing that.
Ryan: Okay. Thanks.
Me: Talk, Ryan.
Ryan: Okay, this is all I have. The day of the London bomb, I got a call from your cousin, Daisy. She said she was in London and she needed me to watch your house for any signs that you'd be alive after the bomb. When you got back to the house basically the next day, and I saw the state that you and your wife were in, I couldn't call her. Something told me not to.
Kennedy: Bold.
Me: Shut up, idiot.
Ryan: Anyway, when I got back to LA, my house had been torched, along with my car. The next phone call I got was from Daisy, but a guy spoke. British accent, he told me if I fucked up again it'd be me on fire. He said that he needed you dead, like it was his life's ambition to kill you. He said he wanted to ruin your life. Somehow he knew you survived the bombing.