Chapter 3: Salamander

(Thursday, 7th of Dawn Star Moon, 2021)
Three days after meeting the crow, tomorrow was the day that the train to Sanctuary arrives, and everyone who got accepted to the academy leaves to begin their journey. As for Jack, he was lying on his bed with the radio on the nightstand playing some music, trying to wrap his head around what was going on. Alice, Rico, and the crow appear to recognize Jack, yet Alice doesn't want to say why and Rico doesn't know all that much since he doesn't pay attention to anything. Jack was looking at the back of his hand. It's clear that he was enrolled in the academy because the crow told him about it and was even waiting for his answer until tomorrow. Unfortunately, Jack doesn't know if he has a gift. Sure the leg could be seen as a gift because it has to be magic, but Jack didn't have it before he lost his leg. Meaning he either had a talent or a unique magic. Jack would ask Rico, but he told Jack he hasn't seen him use it, and the only people who know what magic Jack uses are Alice, some guy named Zane, and some girl Ophelia, and Alice refuses to tell Jack what he can do.

"Damnit, is there any way for me to figure things out?" Jack rolled onto to his side and looked at his alarm clock, it was 23 o'clock.

Jack huffed in annoyance and rubbed his palms against his face, desperate to come up with some kind of answer, any kind of answer. Jack figured that he would have to at least have to have left something behind but where would he leave it?

"Well, not like I have any better ideas."

Jack jumped off his bed to begin looking for something that could tell him who he was before he lost his memories, and how he lost his memories in the first place. Jack started his search underneath the bed, and pulled out a couple of mundane looking objects. Underneath his bed were a suitcase, a backpack, and some kind of bolt action rifle. He looked through the bags in search of some kind of useful clue as to who he was before his memories were lost. In the suitcase, he found a bunch of old fashioned shirts with various old band logos on them as well as some old fashioned racing shirts. There were also some jeans, goggles, and weirdly enough, some dusting tools. He was weirded out by the dusting tools, so Jack took time to examine them, and noticed how they were different from one another. There were small and delicate brushes, wide brushes, brushes with steel wires instead of whatever brushes are made from. Jack then opened the backpack to see even more tools. There was a trowel, a small shovel, measuring tape, a small mesh screen, a flashlight, and a magnifying glass. Jack also noticed a normal sized shovel underneath his bed as well. Jack looked at all these tools, but they didn't make much sense to him.

"Maybe I was some kind of miner?"Jack put everything back underneath his bed to begin looking through his dresser, since he had no better ideas.

He carefully emptied my drawers of their contents, since they were folded and Jack didn't want to ruin them, and as he searched through his drawers, Jack noticed something. On the bottom of one of the drawers, there was a finger-sized hole.

"Like a wise man once said; "If there's a hole, I want to go in it!". Jack put one finger and the hole, and luckily, nothing happened.

Jack lifted the fake bottom of the drawer up and out of the drawer. He put the fake bottom on the ground to look inside the drawer, noticing three notebooks were in there.

"Aha, I got something." Jack was proud of himself, but deep down, he felt kind of stupid for not doing this sooner. 

All three notebooks appeared to be made of a leather-like substance, with the first one having a green cover, the second being blue, and the third one being brown. Jack noticed a pen at the far right of the secret compartment, and noticed how the pen appeared to be made out of a sniper bullet. He looked at the pen closely, and it appeared to be used quite a bit, he guessed this must have been his pen. Jack picked up the green notebook first, thinking it was some kind of diary, but unfortunately, life is not merciful like that. Instead, the journals were filled with sketches of places underground that were made of a variety of materials, mainly rock though. These sketches were incredibly detailed, and the sketches only appeared on the left hand pages, while the right hand pages were words. Jack read the words, and they mentioned civilizations a lot. His main focus was on a sketch of an underground building that looked like a colosseum that was on the last page, but some of it was ruined and falling apart. There were a variety of plants growing all over the cave while a hole in the ceiling let light into the cavern. Jack looked to the right of the page and read the writing.