Chapter 20: Little Nothings

(Wednesday, 2nd of Lover's Harp Moon, 2021)
"Eh? We have a mission together?" Jack questioned Zane while his Badger familiar rested on Jack's shoulder.

"Looks like it, I wonder why we've been put together." Zane looked at his phone, checking it for information. "Apparently we're going to Cuauhti."

"Cuauhti...same country as that Lady of the Candle person." Jack recalled the piece of information Zane told him about just the other day. "What would we have to do over there?"

"Not sure, as far as we know, it's just a mission where we have to deliver a precious piece of cargo." Zane informed Jack of the contents of the mission. "We'll also be going there with two others, Freya and Caroline."

"Well we should head to the Headmaster's office so we can get a briefing." Jack suggested the idea to Zane, who agreed with him.

"So...we're not going to talk about the honey badger on your shoulder?" Zane pointed at the beast, who hissed. "I thought they smelled repulsive."

"I bought a special soap that can neutralize foul odors from Valley." Jack remembered that Valley was an online store with just about anything imaginable. "It's pretty dope."

"So the badger is your familiar?" Zane asked, and Jack nodded. "...I would have expected your familiar to be a dinosaur or something."

"There are a bunch of dinosaur types, you mean like a t-rex, stegosaurus, triceratops?" Jack questioned Zane, who thought for a couple minutes before answering.

"A dodo bird." Zane answered, and while that wasn't a dinosaur, it was certainly possible.

"Shut it, your familiar is probably gonna be a rat, I know it."

"Hey, I don't want a familiar, so I'm not getting one."

Jack and Zane walked through the grassy stone courtyard that was quite possibly larger than the school itself. The massive courtyard had a park in the middle of it, and walls were standing tall at the ends of the courtyard. The school stood tall towards the north, seemingly overlooking the courtyard to protect them. On the South, East, and West walls were numerous apartment complex-like buildings. These buildings were there for the numerous refugees from warring countries to live in until they're able to find someplace else. If anyone intentionally causes trouble here, they're kicked out. As Jack and Zane walked, Jack noticed someone who was not a refugee, but a classmate of his. Caroline was a pale girl around Jack's age with curly brown hair in a ponytail and amber eyes. She wore a black shirt, a dark blue parka, jean shorts, and black boots. She also had a black cap on.

"Hey, Caroline." Jack greeted the girl, who looked up from her phone and noticed him.

"Oh hey, you guys are Jack and Zane, right?" Caroline guessed, and the two nodded. "Great! So we're going on a mission together or something?"

"Yeah, we need to head to somewhere in Cuauhti, I'm not sure, but I think we need to deliver something important." Zane answered while he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Oh hey, that's the same area as the Lady of the Candle!" Caroline sounded excited about heading to Cuauhti for the same reasons they were. "Maybe I can get my fortune told to me!"

"Well Cuauhti is a small country, so you never know." Zane thought to himself, and Jack forgot what the countries looked like, so he'll take his word for it. "Still, we need to prioritize the mission at hand."

"Let's get going then, I need to know if I'll pass next week's test!" Caroline adjusted her hat before joining the two guys to head towards Herakles' office. "Hey, we should get Freya too, since she's with us on the mission."