Chapter 7: Sanctuary

(Friday, 8th of Dawnstar Moon, 2021)
Jack, Alice, and Mifu arrived at Sanctuary just on time at 5:25, meaning they still had some time before the coronation ceremony. When they arrived at Sanctuary, they instantly marveled at the sheer size of the castle for a couple moments before Mifu snapped her fingers in front of Jack and Alice's faces, snapping them back into focus. There was a large gate they had to enter through, but to enter the gates they must walk through a curved bridge. There were also guards on either side of the gates, and they were checking ID's to make sure people were who they say they are. Due to Sanctuary being the greatest school in the continent, many people try to fake their way into the school. Sometimes it's well thought out, other times it's pathetic to look at. Like right now, there was a drunken man who looked to be in his 40's trying to convince the guards that he was actually a student here, even though the oldest student that goes here is barely into their late 20's.

"What do you mean I'm not welcome here?!" The drunken man wore dirty clothes and had messy hair. "I live in Oneiro,  so I should get access to the resources inside!"

"Abraham, we've been over this, those are for students and refugees only." The guards held axes with long hilts, and the hilts were long enough to form a cross over the gates. "We ran a background check on you already, you do live in the slums, but your job is well paying and you're using it for nothing but alcohol. If you're after resources, then cut back on the drinking and use that money for important things."

"Fuck off, I work my ass off everyday and this is all I get in return?!" The drunkard sounded pissed, and despite that the three students kept walking like nothing was wrong. Their walking didn't go noticed however, the drunkard noticed them walking. "Oh come on, they get to enter because they're students or 'privileged'?!"

"They get the privilege of being students because they were scouted, worked hard to hone their skills, and are risking their lives to protect all of us from monsters, terrorists, and other dangerous groups." The second knight stated as Jack, Alice, and Mifu approached the second knight with their identification in their hands. Alice showed her Kingstagram account, Mifu handed some kind of small scroll, and Jack showed his driver's license. "Things appear to be in order, thank you for risking your lives for us, future guardians."

The knights moved their axes out of the way, allowing the three of them to enter while the drunkard could only gawk in response. "That's a load of horse shit!" The drunkard tried following them, but he was stopped by the guards again.

"You need to relax before Headmaster Herakles shows up, if he hears you came back, he'll throw you at your house!" The first guard warned, and Jack decided to add this 'Herakles' fellow to people he did not want to fight.

The trio entered the palace, and the place ahead of them was a long hallway that was lit up by several torches. Why did this castle need torches? Isn't that kind of outdated? Electric lighting is better, but for a place this big, it might cost a bit on the electricity bill.

"Wait, that guy earlier said something about refugees, what's that about?" Jack asked his friends.

"Sanctuary serves two primary purposes, to educate the greatest guardians in Desponia, and to serve as a safe haven for refugees from wars and other such conflicts." Mifu explained. "There are two layers to 'Sanctuary's inner town', as people like to call it. 50% of this town is full of apartments for the refugees to live in, the rest of the property is student dorms, specialized facilities, and the cafeteria."

"Huh, and here I was making memes about Sanctuary's name being a false advertisement." Alice sighed in shame as the three were suddenly stopped by three figures in front of us.

"Prepare for trouble..." The first figure was wearing New Years glasses, a fuzzy scarf, fake jewelry, and a top hat.

"...and make it double." The second figure was wearing a detective's hat, a fake mustache, glasses, an oversized ski jacket, and carried a cane.