Chapter 14: The Library

(Sunday, 16th of Dawnstar Moon, 2021)
"And then what happened?"

"There....was nothing there!"

Jack was back at Sanctuary, telling the story of what happened back in Christus. Mifu, Eve, Damini, and Jack looked everywhere, but he couldn't find what happened to the deceased cattle. While they did find some residue of the dead cattle in the abandoned shack, it looked like they were moved before they entered the shack. Eve tried finding the cattle, but they couldn't. They cut their losses and informed Billy of what had happened. While they didn't find the cattle, they did find the cause of the infection, so he called that a win. He sent the money back to Sanctuary and gave each of them some cuts of beef before they left. Before Jack forgets about them, remember those five guys they captured? Well they were brought to Sanctuary with the Guardians in training. So after all that, here Jack lay in his room, telling the story to his friends. In the room with Jack were Alice, Nico, Rico, Zane, Othelia, Galahad, Mifu, Eve, and Damini. Mifu made some beef udon for all of them, while Alice was fangirling over Mifu making a 'Hinodian delicacy'. Damini and Eve were sitting next to each other, with Damini's arm over Eve's shoulder.

"So you guys couldn't find anything even after all that?" Zane asked while he sat on the couch, and Jack nodded from the bed he sat on.

"Nothing other than those guys we captured, so we're not sure if it was a successful mission or not." Eve was charging her robot using the window to let in sunlight from the setting sun, allowing the robot to absorb the light using solar panels on it's chest. "Right now, they're in the holding building until we decide what to do with them."

"So what do you guys think is gonna happen?" Damini asked the room while Mifu walked by and handed the girl a bowl of udon. "Do you think they're gonna be executed? Thrown in jail? Sent to Dhahabu to work in the mines?"

"Is Dhahabu like a dictatorship or something?" Jack wondered, since he was still bad with the geography and world politics thanks to the whole amnesia ordeal.

"No, their country is incredibly metal rich, so they're constantly looking for miners who can get the metals." Mifu explained while she handed Jack his bowl of beef udon. "The other countries often send prisoners there for rehabilitation. Though it's not entirely one sided, Dhahabu set up strict rules for mines and mining companies. If those rules are broken, then the violators are forced to join those in the mines. Plus, when the sentence of the prisoner's is over, then they're free to go back to their original country or stay in Dhahabu as a citizen."

"Wait, who cares about Dhahabu? We wanna know about those guys you guys got." Alice sat down next to Jack while he set his bowl of udon on the nightstand. "So what were they called?"

"We're not sure, we just fought them and knocked them out." Damini informed everyone, Jack looked down at the ground at the mention of this. "Except Jack, he killed one of them."

"Please don't remind him of such an event, it's the first murder that's hardest for everyone."  Mifu requested the lion girl. "If I were to guess the fates of those people, they would be charged with property damage and animal cruelty. However, given the nature of their operation, I predict their punishment will be more severe."

"I wonder why they did it though." Jack asked as he undid the seal that allowed his leg prosthetic to stick to his leg, then he set the prosthetic aside to let the limb breathe. "Turning cow corpses into whatever those things were...seems kind of random don't you think?"

"Maybe they did it as a prank?" Rico guessed out loud while his twin brother stuffed his face with noodles.

"If it was a prank, then how did they get the bacteria?" Eve asked the red haired boy. "Remember the bacteria is made up of a bunch of unknown proteins. So if they did it as a prank, how did they get that bacteria?"