Chapter 12: Stakeout

(Wednesday, 13th of Dawnstar Moon, 2021)
Eve's research did indeed take a while, in fact it took so long that it was night time by the time she finished. Since it was dark, it would have been a pain if she did any more investigating because she can't see anything. A thick fog rolled in, making it even more difficult to see right now. Lucky for Eve and the rest of the team, she could see the light coming from Billy's House. The four of them decided to make their way to the house so they could report the findings. Eve's robot turned back to normal, minus a few fingers to better follow Eve. Making their way down the dirt road path towards Billy's house, they arrived at his house in a matter of minutes. Eve knocked on the catfish man's door, and after a minute or so, he opened the door.

"Oh howdy, did you guys make any kind of progress with the cattle investigation?" Billy seemed concerned with his cattle. "I wanna make sure this whole pandemic stops as soon as possible."

"Well I have discovered that this isn't the cause of a virus, it's a bacteria." Eve answered rather quickly while holding up a beaker made from one of the robot's fingers. "If possible, can we come inside to discuss matters further? It's rather cold out here."

"Oh sure thing, come on in!" Billy invited the four Guardians in Training inside and guided them to a dining room table, where the four of them sat down, while Billy sat at the head of the table. "So how bad is it?"

"Well we know it's not a virus because viruses are usually super precise and only target a certain kind of cell, but this bacteria attacks all living matter that makes skin to skin contact with it. Amazingly, it doesn't affect anthropomorphic races."

"Please use small words." Damini requested her spectacled friend, who tried finding the words for this.

"Basically, it doesn't affect races like beastmen, dwarves, humans, elves, and other civilized races." Eve informed everyone as she showed off the clear vial. "However, you'll need to keep this substance far away from any other kind of livestock. The only way for this virus to spread is through physical contact, even if a single virus were to touch one of your livestock, that cow is as good as dead."

"Alright, so is there anything y'all can do about the cattle with the infection?" Billy asked while pointing at the hay barn with all the infected cattle, to which Eve shook her head. "Figures, I guess I had my hopes up a little too high."

"It's okay, you care for your livestock and/or profits, so wanting to know if you can cure some of them is understandable." Eve tilted her glasses upwards. "I'm afraid that's all I have to offer you for tonight, Mr.Catfish. We'll try to find more information tomorrow, and hopefully a way to dispose of the disease without exposing anyone else to it."

"Thank you guys, say, Ma made some grilled beef if y'all want some." Billy pointed at the nearby stove. "There's a spare room on the top floor, third door to your left. I think there's an inflatable mattress in the basement, I'll go get it, but you guys will have to partner up together even with the mattress."

"It's okay, we humbly thank you for your hospitality." Mifu thanked the catfish man as the man walked down the hall. "Eve, I'm assuming you did not tell Mr.Catfish everything about the virus."

"You are correct, Mifu." Eve handed Mifu the beaker while Damini and Jack helped themselves to some of the leftover beef dinner that Billy told them about. "This virus appears to have an internal shell of something I am not aware of. This DNA sequence is unnatural, because there aren't any adenine, thymine, guanine, or cytosine Nucleotides."

"Huh?" Jack didn't understand a word this girl just said, so he was just focusing on getting himself some beef and some garlic bread that was just lying out.

"Don't worry if you can't understand her, I can't either half the time." Damini pat Jack's head while she took a bite of garlic bread. "Still, my guess is that she's saying this virus may be an alien or some shit."