-08-

the race

the race

SCARLETT WAS NOT SURE WHAT TO DO ABOUT HER UNCLE'S PROBLEMS. They were being nice folks, letting these people stay, and they really hadn't caused any trouble. Otis dying, whether or not they believed Shane's story, could have happened anyway. He shot Carl. He wanted to fix his mistake. He did his best, and they could only let him rest in peace. As for Carol and Lori cooking, Scarlett's stomach grumbled just thinking about what they were going to do with that turkey. And for worrying about Maggie and Glenn, who cares? Maggie's an adult. She can take care of herself.

The talking thing, she needed to get a grip on that. If her Daddy heard her, her face would be black and blue.

Scarlett was sitting on the porch, watching everyone begin to head to the house for that lovely dinner. Shane and T-Dog came back first, no luck on the little girl. Andrea came back next, having been on the roof of the RV with a rifle since then. Rick was the last one, walking slowly toward her as if he was in deep thought.

He checked his watch, glancing at Andrea, then his eyes moved back to Scarlett who was already glancing at him. She blushed a bit under his gaze, moving her eyes to focus on Nelly running back to the stables.

Well, she came back, no rider. Three guesses who must be walking back pissed as all hell. She snorted to herself... Poor Daryl. Should've asked.

Standing, she walked to go get Nelly situated, and she felt Rick following her.

She clicked her tongue when she got near Nelly. Nelly knew who she was, having ridden with Shawn so often. The horse calmed down, letting her lead her into her stall.

Rick plucked off the saddle for her, not saying a word. Scarlett's eyes squinted a bit as she stared at him. He felt a little uncomfortable with her over-analyzing eyes staring at her. He took off the reigns, placing them near the others.

Finally, he looked at her. "You know, Carl already loves you."

Scarlett smirked, picking up a brush to try and soothe Nelly down.

"He's a good kid," she muttered, unable to help herself. Kicking herself in the ass, she glanced at Rick's surprised face. "Raised 'im right."

"Thank you," Rick replied, still in a bit of shock. "Can I ask you a personal question?" She did not reply, placing the brush back on the hook. She smiled at Buck, petting his snout while kissing it once. "You don't talk to anyone. Yet you talk to Carl... and me?"

"Carl don' scare me like other people do," she murmured, leaving it at that. She did not answer the part about him, because she was not even sure of that herself. "Daryl needs to ask if he wants to use a horse. I could'a told 'im that Nelly hates people. Nervous Nelly, get it? Buck would'a been better."

"Buck?" Rick asked, moving on from what she said about Carl and how she ignored the talking to him.

"My horse," she said, gesturing to her favorite horse.

Rick walked over, standing closer to her than he intended. She did not flinch, which made him wonder some more. He caressed the horse, grinning when the horse nuzzled into his neck.

"Wanna race?" Rick asked her teasingly. He was not expecting her to agree with a smirk and a nod of her head.

"You're on, Grimes," she said, seeing him eyeing Nelly warily. "I'll even take Nervy here."

Rick laughed as she saddled Nelly back up and got on her before he could even saddle Buck correctly. She was leaning over, cocking a brow at him.

He did not deny how attractive she looked sitting up there. Her red hair in a braid but loose ends flying everywhere. Her shirt was a bit baggy, and he saw more than he should have as she leaned over. A blush rose up his neck, knowing he needed to stop.

Getting on the horse, he looked at her again. "Where're we racin'?"

"Shawn and I do the creek. Think you can handle it?" she teased a bit as they started trotting out of the stables.

"You got a smart mouth on ya, don'cha?" Rick said as he pet Buck. "Can see why you don' talk. No one would be able to handle it."

She smiled softly, not answering as she called 'Hiyah!' on the horse. Rick laughed after her, following the trail she left. Nelly was taking to her just fine, so he needed to win.

Lori sat on the porch, hand on her stomach with tears in her eyes. She did not know what to do.

Before the apocalypse, she and Rick were one argument from a divorce. Carl even knew it. When Rick was supposed to be dead, she sought comfort in his best friend. Now, she's trying to ignore Shane, pretend it did not happen... but it did. Rick had not smiled at Lori like he just did to the mute girl in years.

A tear fell, her eyes going to her stomach.

"Oh, baby, what am I supposed to do?" she murmured.

She loved Rick. She loved Shane. Carl loved them both.

Shane stepped out of the house, eyes looking around before they landed on Lori. He stepped toward her slowly, watching her eyes widen as they flickered to his.

"Hey," he said softly.

She smiled hesitantly. "Hi."