-18-

dale

dale

RICK KILLED RANDALL THE FOLLOWING DAY. He and Shane spoke about every angle of the situation, and when Daryl came back with bloody knuckles telling them that Randall threatened to get his men and take the women... well, Rick was not hard to get on board with the idea.

Dale was pissed.

He thought Randall deserved a chance, but Daryl would not lie. He told them Randall was ready to kill any of them had he been given the chance... so Dale had to suck it up and agree to disagree.

Scarlett was outside with Sophia and Carl, letting Carl teach Sophia how to use Scarlett's knives. Of course, Scarlett would correct Carl or help him if need be, but the pair were doing a great job.

Sophia was turning out to be quite the badass as she kept her gaze focused on the trees as if they were the evil walkers.

At around midday, Scarlett went to do her chores like any other day. She started with getting the horses their food and water before cleaning out the stalls. Maggie and Glenn came by not too long after and took over when she was going to go look out for the cattle. Scarlett happily let them take the chore.

She was walking back to the farm when she heard a scream too close to home.

Her legs were on autopilot as she ran faster than she had ever ran before. She saw people rushing from the house, but she was faster. She ran and ran until she saw where the scream came from.

Dale.

Scarlett wasted no time in taking out her gun and shooting the bastard walker in the head. As soon as she did that, Rick was next to get to them, shoving the walker off of Dale's body.

His intestines were oozing out of his stomach... his face growing paler as time ticked on. He was groaning in pain. He was scared.

"All right, just listen to my voice. Listen to me, all right? Just listen to me. Okay, hold on now. Get Hershel! He needs blood!" Rick shouted as the others began to surround them. "We gotta operate now. Hang on, Dale. Hang on. Listen to me. Come on-- Okay, just listen to my voice. All right, please. Hershel! We need Hershel! Look at me. Dale, we're gonna help. We're here. Just hold on-- hold on."

Scarlett looked down sadly as they began to lose another one of their group. Was this Karma for killing Randall? Was this the world's twisted reminder that nowhere was safe. The farm would never be secure.

"What happened?" Hershel shouted as he finally got to them. "What can we do?" Maggie cried out.

"Dale, it's gonna be okay," Andrea soothed softly as tears left her face.

"Can we move him?" Rick asked Hershel.

Hershel shook his head. "He won't make the trip."

"You have to do the operation here. Glenn, get back to the house—" Rick began as Hershel called his name softly.

"Oh God!" Rick shouted as Andrea cried out, "He's suffering!"

"Do something!" Carol shouted next.

Scarlett watched Rick's hand shake as he tried to grab his gun. Daryl shook his head, grabbing Scarlett's gun from her hand as he leaned over Dale's body.

"M'sorry, Brother," Daryl whispered before letting the shot ring out, putting Dale out of his misery.

Scarlett felt Daryl slip her gun back into the holster as he walked off toward the gravesite. She watched him pick up a shovel as if it was second nature.

It shouldn't have to be, dammit!

Andrea was sobbing over Dale's body as Rick sat back on his heels staring at nothing in particular. T-Dog sighed, clapping Glenn on the back as he said to Rick and Shane, "We got him. Y'all just do a perimeter check."

Shane nodded, helping Rick stand as they both shakily made sure they had their guns while beginning to walk the perimeter.

Maggie clapped her hands softly. "Y'all come help with dinner," she said to the kids... Carl, Sophia, Beth, and Jimmy. Lori placed a hand on her stomach and let Carol lead her with them to the house. Scarlett stared at the walker with an unreadable expression in her eyes.

"Come on, Scar," Hershel mumbled softly.

"We ain't safe, are we, Uncle?" she asked quietly.

Hershel sighed softly, taking her hand and leading her away from Dale's body with Andrea still crying over it.

It did not take long for Dale's body to be set in the grave and the ceremony ready to be had. They had lots of funerals nowadays. She wondered if it would ever end?

Shane came back saying he and Rick patched a broken board on the fence. Hershel nodded to them, saying they needed to be moved inside. Shane agreed, so before dinner, the men went out to start packing their camp and moving it toward the farmhouse.

Scarlett went out to help, spotting Rick kicking something on the ground. When she got close enough, she saw it was a snake. He looked up when he heard her small chuckles.

"Don' laugh. You think I wouldn't be 'fraid of snakes when I've dealt with a zombie attacking me," he joked softly as he grabbing a bag. She leaned her hands out waiting for him to hand it to her. Reluctantly he did, watching as she kept a sharp eye out in the fields outside the farm. "All right?"

"Carl survived. Sophia was found. Lori's pregnant... guess I forgot there was bad still. Thought we were safe," she whispered as Rick sat next to her on a bench. "Dale didn't deserve that."

"No, he didn't, but we can't keep looking back. Got'ta move forward," he murmured.

"How's Lori?" she asked him softly.

He smiled. "Happy, finally. She's got Shane and I, Carl is understanding better. Felt weird sleeping alone when she asked to sleep with him. Carl slipped in though, so I had my boy."

She nodded. "Upset about it?"

"No," he said honestly. "Just upset it took so long and so many turns to get here. Shane's got his head on straight when she's around. They're good for each other."

She nodded, listening to him get all his thoughts out. He spoke a little longer, telling her about the past how they fought about his career and Carl... how he will always love her but it was time to move on. She listened so well, she did not notice how he stared at her. How he memorized every line and crevice on her face. He was trapped and he knew it. When her eyes met his, the sparkling blue's catching each other, it was confirmed without a doubt he had a major crush on this woman.