-27-

bastards

bastards

SCARLETT GRINNED WHEN RICK TOOK HER HAND AS THEY WALKED THROUGH THE DESOLATE STREETS TWO DAYS LATER. She rose a brow and teasingly began swinging their arms. He glanced at her childish behavior, shaking his head with a smile on his face.

"Where you takin' me, Grimes?"

"Just walkin'," he murmured, keeping her hand held tight. They continued walking, shivering slightly when a harsh wind began. "Winter is comin'."

"I know, Lori's gon' need more jackets and blankets," she replied.

"We'll take care of her," Rick told her. "You don' have to worry."

"But—"

Before Scarlett could say anything, a gun was cocked in front of them asa group of men jumped out of their hiding spots. Rick immediately pushed Scarlett behind as his hand went to his Colt Python.

"Woah, woah, Sheriff," a man mocked not realizing how right he was. Scarlett looked over Rick's shoulder to see three men total. "You 'nd yer girl seem mighty comfortable walkin' these here streets. Don' wanna mess a hair on her pretty head up. So, you'll do what we say, aye!?"

Rick kept his gaze hard as he stared at them.

"What, no answer?" he said cockily.

Rick did not want to engage and hurt them. He was trying to keep his humanity. He did not want to end up like those sick bastards in the world now.

"Where's ya base? Must have one walkin' 'round like Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke."

Another man, more pudgy lookin', cackled. "I'll take Julie Andrews. Look at the body on that piece of ass, Teddy."

Rick drew his gun on the man. "Say it again, asshole."

"Andy, c'mon. Just takin' what they got, no need to get violent," Teddy murmured to the fat man.

Andy smirked as he stepped forward to Rick's gun. "I'll take their shit, then, I'll take the ass."

Scarlett winced as Rick let the shot go. Immediately, the unnamed man fired a shot just as Scarlett pulled Rick behind a truck. Scarlett took her own gun out, shaking her head as Rick seemed to grow angrier and angrier. He was growing colder as he stood up as if there was no trouble, popping three shots.

Scarlett heard two bodies fall.

Rick walked back to Scarlett, helping her stand and not even glancing at her. "C'mon. We need to go start packing up."

"Rick–"

"Don't. Come on," he said softly, letting her hand go and stalking toward the fat man. Immediately, Scarlett noticed the unnamed man was not killed instantly. While Rick stabbed the other two in the head, she knelt by the man.

He spat out blood. "Sorry 'bout Andy," he grumbled. "Knew he'd kill us in the end."

Scarlett stood up, not being able to look anymore. She heard Rick swear under his breath, killing the unnamed man fully as he watched Scarlett walk off.

When they got back to the motel, Rick told them it was time to go.

Carl's eyes widened. "Why!?"

Scarlett began to wipe the blood off of her hands using Daryl's rag. They all noticed it. Lori sat up straighter.

"What happened?"

"Assholes. Living, but they were not friendly. Didn't get to ask if they were in a group, and we're not stickin' 'round to find out. Let's go!"

Scarlett said nothing as she packed their shit and waited in the truck, not standing around waiting for Rick or Carl to hurry. She was in her own thoughts.

Scarlett forgot there were still people who were sick. Walkers were a problem, yeah, but these stupid ass people were what was wrong with the world. They did not need to fight with each other. They all had a common enemy.

The door to the truck opened roughly as Rick got into the driver's seat. Everyone had a spot again as they had found a car that was working enough to get them as far North as they could get with the gas they siphoned.

It was a long shot, but they had to keep moving in order to find somewhere that was leas crowded. Somewhere secure.

Rick knew they had to find it fast. Lori was growing, Carl and Sophia needed somwhere safe, and Scarlett was losing the glimmer of hope that was left.

Rick clenched his knuckles around the wheel as they took off.

Gunshots followed them, and they were glad to be on wheels unlike the enemy who was chasing them on foot. They would give up sooner or later, but it was good that they left when they did. Rick knew those bastards would have a group, and he knew he had to do what he could to keep them safe.

He had to keep Scarlett safe. Carl. Lori.

Scarlett felt Rick place a hesitant hand on her thigh, and she sighed at the touch. His finger nails were coated with dried blood. His hands were rough and dry. Scarlett did not mind it as she slowly grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers.

Rick felt a breath of relief leave his lungs at the feeling.

"Where we goin', Dad?" Carl asked softly as the sky began to grow darker once more. It was getting colder, and Scarlett turned the heater on per Sophia's request.

"Find somewhere else," Rick responded to Carl. Carl just nodded to that response, deciding to lean his head on the cool window and watch the trees pass. "Scarlett?" she hummed in response. "What's wrong?" She shrugged, not answering. "Was it what that ass said?" She tightened her hold on his hand but said nothing. "Don't think about it. I'm here. I'm protecting you. Always." She leaned her head on the window in a similar way to Carl, and Rick believed he was not getting much out of her that night.

Taking her silence in stride, he simply let her hold his hand as tightly as she needed as he kept driving.