-60-

separated

separated

SCARLETT TOOK NOTICE OF HOW EMPTY THE AREA SURROUNDING THE FUNERAL HOME WAS. There were no walkers around, and the garden almost seemed to be well-kept. That alone was suspicious.

They made it to the graveyard surrounding the funeral home when Daryl let Beth off his back. He needed a break, so Beth sat down on a grave after muttering an apology to the headstone.

"We need to be careful. I'll go in," Daryl grumbled, going back into his emotionless facade.

Beth gave him a look. "Well, maybe there are people there."

"Yeah. If there are, I'll handle them."

"There are still good people, Daryl."

Daryl tutted, shaking his head. "I don't think the good ones survive."

Scarlett and Beth did not argue when Daryl took point to get inside the house. He opened the door, telling the pair to be prepared. When nothing immediately came out, he banged on the wall and whistled.

"Give it a minute."

When nothing came out snarling, Daryl nodded at them. He walked inside first as they followed. Scarlett took the end as she shut the door behind them. Judith babbled in her arms as Beth took notice of the same thing Scarlett did.

"It's so clean."

Scarlett sighed. "Someone's been tending to it. The garden, too," she told them.

"They may still be around," Daryl agreed. For now, however, they had more important matters to tend to. "Let's get that ankle wrapped. Scarlett—"

"Gotta change Judy. I'll come," she told them. He nodded, leading the way. They found a room with a walker inside of a coffin. It was dressed up, and Scarlett sighed sadly.

"Looks like somebody ran out of dolls to dress up," Daryl commented.

"It's beautiful. Whoever did this cared. They wanted these people to get a funeral. They remembered these things were people. Before all this. They didn't let it change them in the end," Beth smiled at the pair. She gestured to the dead corpse. "Don't you think that's beautiful?"

Daryl sighed, nodding out of the room after making sure the walker was, in fact, dead. "Come on."

Scarlett found a kitchen, sighing in relief at the sight of chairs. She sat down immediately, taking off her shoe to rub her swollen feet. Daryl and Beth began to rummage through the cupboards.

"You find anything?" Daryl asked just as Beth opened a stocked cabinet.

"Whoa," Beth murmured. The cupboard was filled with so many food items. She was in awe on it as if she had never seen good food in her life.

Daryl pulled it all out to the table. "Peanut butter and jelly, diet soda, and pig's feet. That's a white trash brunch right there."

Scarlett slipped her shoe back on as she laughed. "It all looks good to me."